speedo stopped..

ChaseN

Jobless/Truckless
1999 with 166k miles. 5spd 4x4

no speedo anymore, what gives? something common or what?

Vehicle Speed Sensor, I believe it's on the rear axle. Definitely sounds like that.

yea if it's the vehicle speed sensor there are a number of things that go out along with it. The ABS light will come on, the brake light will come on. Speedo doesn't work and cruise won't work.

no abs or brake light.

only thing that doesn't work is speedo & cruise.

Try The Abs/speed Sensor On The Top Of The Rear Diff. My Buddy Bought A 99 Dually About A Year Ago No Lights On Dash No Speedo And No Cruise This Fixed The Problem Got It At Napa I Think.

good call... hell, if you just bought the truck, it might just be unplugged...

there are a LOT of earlier trucks with less than 200k on the odometer that probably have 500k plus :o

I know a lot of hot shotters that unplugged their VSS OFTEN :eek:

mine stopped on the way home, also i know the previous owner so i know they didn't unplug it.
i will check it out today, i'm going to swap the one out of my 95 into it.

your 95's will be in the speedo or transfer case, not the rear end

Yep, thats how my '95 was. When I replaced mine, I also didn't know that you had the clock the speed sensor the right way or else it wouldn't work. Dumb me! I almost went and got a new one cuz I thought it was bad.

does the tac work? I know it sounds stupid but did you check fuses? I have a truck that needed 02 sensors and had the cel on, when i unplugged the fuse to kill the light the speedo and tac quit aswell. Just a thought, but that was a toyota.

the tach works, but i checked fuses and couldn't find any that ran the speedo.

i will get a new VSS tomorrow..

98 and up VSS is in the rear end.
97 and down they have a sensor in the rear for anti lock and a sensor in the transfer case for speedo.

mine stoped once at 120 but the rpms kept climbing got any idea guys? (and im glad u got her fixed)

Back