Speedometer Question..

Does anyone know anything about the speedometers in a 12v? I have a 98 12v auto. Fuel guage doesnt work (its not the float on the lift pump or the sending unit). Its in the gauge. A gear is broke or something.. you can see it gigglin like it wants to move but it acts like a gear is stripped or something. And also a digit in the milage reader is burnt out. I was wondering, if I go to the junk yard and find a good speedometer cluster will it read how many miles were on the truck that had it before me? Or will my true miles on my truck show up? Is the milage memory kept in the cluster itself? Or would it be kept in my computer and stay the same nomatter which cluster i buy. Im just wondering if im going to have to find a cluster with around the same milage as my truck has.. Thanks guys!!

I think it's kept on the cluster. 12v don't have a lot of electronics. I'm sure your mileage will read whatever is on the cluster you buy.

ya my friend just recently replaced his whole cluster... the odometer will be whatever the new one you buy reads.. i'm not sure how easy it is to adjust it but i know that the odometer is not controlled in the computer it is mechanical.

ya my friend just recently replaced his whole cluster... the odometer will be whatever the new one you buy reads.. i'm not sure how easy it is to adjust it but i know that the odometer is not controlled in the computer it is mechanical.

A VFD display like used in the '98+ trucks is certainly not mechanical.

The speed sensor signal and fuel level (among other things) are sent via the CCD bus from the PCM to the gauge cluster.

I'm not sure where the mileage is stored on the '98-02 trucks.

Alright thanks guys!! Thats what i was wondering about the most the milage. Already have a speedometer lined up for an unbeatable price, I was just wondering if it would read the same milage. Anyone know how to adjust it so it says the same milage? Or anyone know if its illegal to do so?

Back