Springin leaks!

JAS3+390

Alright, got the swap done, and up and running a couple months ago. Immediately into the test runs the tappet cover gasket blew off in three places. Along with other bugs I began tearing it back down. Now over two .months later it is back together. First run down the street....... Tappet cover gasket blew off again. While I had it down (two months ago) I put new cover and gasket. What the hell is causing this??? I'm out of ideas any help would be Awesome. Thanks in advance.

(95 pp 12v 90 hp inj phatshaft 62 studded and fire ringed)

Put a billet side cover on it and a valve cover breather setup. Or 2. Or 3. You either have too much blowby, or it's vacuum pump related.

It's got a fresh rebuild with Prolly no more than six hours of run time. It does have blowby bit I'm sure rings aren't seated yet. I've got the motor in a 80's model square body Chevy so I have no use for vaccum I just ran a hose with a filter on it to the vac pump so it wouldn't burn up so I can still run my power steering off the back of it. Does the breather setup consist of completely new valve covers?. Also. With the truck just sitting at idle there is no problem. It seems that it only blows the gasket under boost.....

that hose with the filter on it - get rid of it and plug it. it's pumping into the crankcase. that should get rid of some of the pressure. I had a similar issue in a 24v. blew off a brand new tappet cover gasket

I'm pretty sure that the way you have the vacuum pump set up it's sucking air in and pumping it in the crankcase. Take it apart and pull the fiber vanes out of it and put it back together.

The valve cover breathers are 2 covers cast together with a oil trap breather built into them.

The fact that it blows under boost is normal, you are compounding the problem with the vacuum pump.

Ok sweet thanks! Is that breather setup somethin a person could find on any performance site or is it somethin specific? After all the parts chasing I've been doin tryin to johnny cash this thing together I never noticed a vent like that. The whole time I thought I was doing good with that hose on the vac pump, guess I was thinkin it did somethin else.

Here's the best picture I have handy.
Ben013.jpg

I'm not sure who all sells them, it's just standard 6.7 12V parts. I sell a few of them and keep a couple on the shelf.

The vacuum pump only pulls vacuum for the blending door and 4x4 in a dodge truck. It doesn't push air into the engine.

The vacuum pump only pulls vacuum for the blending door and 4x4 in a dodge truck. It doesn't push air into the engine.

Sure it pushes air into the motor. Where do you think the air it sucks to make vacuum vents to? Into the crank case. The problem could be a vacuum leak.

Sure it pushes air into the motor. Where do you think the air it sucks to make vacuum vents to? Into the crank case. The problem could be a vacuum leak.

Where does it push the air too? Through the front into the gear housing? I've always assumed it pushed it into the atmosphere, never really looked into it honestly. That's probably the problem then Josh. Try plugging it like the others recommended and see what happens.

I'll try plugging. May be real dumb but what if I ran a hose from valve cover to intake and let the turbo suck the air? I wouldn't think there would be a whole lot of oil at the top of the valve cover that would try to make it run away. Maybe???

Don't do that it will eventually do like you said and get oil in there.

Aight just wanted to be sure. Plugging the vac pump and more breathers is where I'm goin then