Sprinter diesel swap?

Phooker

Gluten Free
Anybody ever toyed with one, I was doing some brainstorming tonight and started to wonder how well it would work in my dakota. Anybody ever messed with these things. I know the obvious is to put a 4bt in it...I just don't think I want all that extra weight. I was thinking about the older inline five cylinder variants if that helps...

you'd be better off with an older Merc that's either mech injected or easily converted to mech injection. there just isn't enough aftermarket support to make the swap easy and/or powerful :eek:

I'm not necessarily wanting powerful, I'm just wanting something a little different and with high mileage. If I wanted something powerful then I would end up going with a 4bt.

again, you'd be better off with a mech 5cyl mercedes IMO

for the money spent vs. difficulty of the conversion vs. the power possible...

getting a mech injected engine up to the power of a sprinter engine (if you can call it "power") shouldn't be too difficult

Do it!

Anybody ever toyed with one, I was doing some brainstorming tonight and started to wonder how well it would work in my dakota. Anybody ever messed with these things. I know the obvious is to put a 4bt in it...I just don't think I want all that extra weight. I was thinking about the older inline five cylinder variants if that helps...

My dad has two with the 2.7 5cyl and we love them! one has over 400k with no problems and sees 26+mpg loaded with glass and drivin like a race car. Pulled my Crew cab 4by powerstroke on our 2 axle trailer with no problems and yes you can get aftermarket performance parts for em too. Ive been dyin to put one in a jeep but need to finish my bronc first. Hell I even have a wrecked van I would love to unload!

I would like to do the swap in something too. They seem to get good mileage even in those big vans. I say go for it.

If I was closer blacknd I would be interested in a wrecked van for the drivetrain.

idk the ones i drove actually pulled pretty good and they wistle like crazy. TS is making a nice unit for them. I guess the best way to do is get the whole truck and butcher it up that way. Don't forget you are dealing with Mercedes wiring so that WILL be a nightmare. I remember doing hitches on those things and it was like a 5hr job b/c of the wiring.

hey i've got an 83 300sd for cheap :)

Well, it's just on the drawing board right now. Having a complete donor would be easiest. wonder how bad it would be to get the instrument cluster in there...

idk the ones i drove actually pulled pretty good and they wistle like crazy. TS is making a nice unit for them. I guess the best way to do is get the whole truck and butcher it up that way. Don't forget you are dealing with Mercedes wiring so that WILL be a nightmare. I remember doing hitches on those things and it was like a 5hr job b/c of the wiring.

hey i've got an 83 300sd for cheap :)

I thought TS just had a pressure box for them? I didn't know if anyone was actually writing tunes for them.

That Mercedes wiring is my reasoning for going mechanical. There isn't a painless swap for that engine IMO