SSR New Release Info and Results Thread...

Raychem
Just curious what you are using for a scanner to record all of this?

so if one wants to load up 5th gear on a roll, you have to adjust the TQ up higher? 5th maxes as 50, 6th hits 58-60.

had a run in with a bike on the way home today :) poor guy was a little shocked I'm sure ;)

Hey...Just so you guys know I would not post anything here if it were not important. I just saw from what other people had mentioned coincided with what I was also experiencing. I just spent a little time to try and tell Marco what I saw so he can straighten it out.

Some of the people here in previous posts had been complaining trying to get the truck to spool or it being laggy but low RP could be the main cause. I also believe that the low RP might be causing what many were saying was "timing rattle" and while it very well could be, detonation could also factor into the equation too. CR systems while diesel fuel based are not that far away from gas engines for certain things. While high RP is not friendly to our injectors, we still need it get things going. Pressure spikes are the biggest culprits of RP along with sustained high RP but this is just my OPINION (on my 4th set of injectors in 95k) ask me how I know...lol.

I just want it to be looked at so I can dial in my truck at the dyno and make it more drivable in the mid operating range 40-70 mph. I did not have this problem with the TNT, TNT-R so I know it is SSR programming related. I know Marco can work it out!

Love this thing already....my bumper and quarter panel are still white after 4 days! No exhaust stain to remove yet.

Last edited:
Raychem
Just curious what you are using for a scanner to record all of this?

Can't really record it, but I do see it on the scanner. I estimated my numbers as best as I could. Driving while paying attention to gauges and the live data from the scanner is a chore. Especially when trying to replicate certain conditions.

At least I know I am not alone in this.

on the tuning instruction sheet it has the settings for close to tntr#7 the lld is 30 & hld is15 i figured u would run the lld lower than the hld am i missing something?

on the tuning instruction sheet it has the settings for close to tntr#7 the lld is 30 & hld is15 i figured u would run the lld lower than the hld am i missing something?
If you want the smoke like tnt-r then run a high lld setting. As for a low hld setting, my truck lacks good topend with anything below 20

Sent from my DROIDX

you are possibly on the right track. try tq1 and lld 23-ish and LLT 18. finding the combo of the curve Marco wrote vs the throttle input torque management let's you run on that curve is what you're looking for.

Ok so I backed down to tq1 and what a difference, to me it feels just like tq2on the TNT-R I was running, nice and smooth and not touchy like tq2 was.

Right now im running LLD23, LLT18, LLR28 and the truck seems to like it but just crusing around my egts seem to climb alot quicker than TNT-R did, smoke is minimal but if I roll into it pretty hard its a smoke show.
Spool up is good but I think it could be better athough I do feel im in the right area with these LL settings so It just a matter of making small changes now...
Im getting a surging feeling though, it seems like it only dose it when I start up a hill and last till I get to the top and then all is well again... its really WEIRD.

I played around with the pod and if I turn it up to 99 its almost impossible to drive, feels like as soon as I touch the skinny pedal it wants to jump right to WOT and sputters along with a thick black cloud of smoke followed by a white puff, turn the pod down to 80 and all is well.... ALSO weird!

Last edited:
when you first plugged in the pod, what level was it set at from being shipped? never messed with mine, just wondering if they come set to 99.........

I have had the issue too....when you first get it it is set to 99...then after I spent some time there...I turned it down to 60 for a heavy tow. When I switched back to 99 it would be 0 or 100 throttle just by touching the throttle....white smoke...etc. Lowered it to 95 and it was fine.

surprised no comment yet from Marco on the rp drop........ anyone let him know to take a look at the thread lately? swole??

Ok so I backed down to tq1 and what a difference, to me it feels just like tq2on the TNT-R I was running, nice and smooth and not touchy like tq2 was.

Right now im running LLD23, LLT18, LLR28 and the truck seems to like it but just crusing around my egts seem to climb alot quicker than TNT-R did, smoke is minimal but if I roll into it pretty hard its a smoke show.
Spool up is good but I think it could be better athough I do feel im in the right area with these LL settings so It just a matter of making small changes now...
Im getting a surging feeling though, it seems like it only dose it when I start up a hill and last till I get to the top and then all is well again... its really WEIRD.

I played around with the pod and if I turn it up to 99 its almost impossible to drive, feels like as soon as I touch the skinny pedal it wants to jump right to WOT and sputters along with a thick black cloud of smoke followed by a white puff, turn the pod down to 80 and all is well.... ALSO weird!

Lower the LLT to 15. Leave everything else the same

surprised no comment yet from Marco on the rp drop........ anyone let him know to take a look at the thread lately? swole??

I know he's slammed lately.. But I just sent him an email about the new developments in this thread. Hopefully he can get on here soon.

I'm sure he can take care of this stuff fairly easily.

I know he's slammed lately.. But I just sent him an email about the new developments in this thread. Hopefully he can get on here soon.

I'm sure he can take care of this stuff fairly easily.

Yep, and I had a DRB 3 all day today so I will post up my new findings.

Update 5/18

I want people to know that I found my RP actual vs requested issue…..bad FCA on my Dodge pump!

BUT, after having in my possession a DRB 3 for the Dodge all day today, I was able to get a little more info for Marco. I have not changed any of the setting and have stuck to the settings I originally posted with. I was able to replicate this scenario time and time again.

50 mph, on the expressway with the torque converter locked as to make sure under light throttle I could replicate this scenario.

20 % throttle, 25% calc load, RP @ 18.5K @ 50 mph ( but less than 75 mph) I was able to every time as soon as my throttle exceeded 25% BUT below 55%, calc load 30% but less than 60%; rail pressure both commanded and actual matched each other but still fell well into the 14k. Now, once throttle reached 60% or more the truck will increase RP instantly now to 20-21K psi while maintaining a 50% calc load. It is just a large dead spot and makes driving or tuning a bit difficult since RP just falls off. As I stated before, RP changes in the SSR affect initial RP increases but I still see this “dead spot” I will play with this some more when I get a chance.

As a comparison, I loaded up the TNT and replicated these same conditions but my RP both commanded and desired never fell below 19.5k.

I now believe that the way RP and load is calculated under light throttle or load is a programming thing on the smarty SSR and what many of us are seeing too.

Marco, if you need any info, please let me know.

Back