Staging and Anti-Lock Brakes - Bad Combo?

BilletGarage

Diesel Addict
Well I was fighting this problem again at the track tonight. I light the second bulb, mash the brake pedal to the floor, start to build boost, and then it happens . . . It feels like the truck pushes through the brakes (but I don't think it is) by the second sportsman bulb, then the pedal pulsates like the anti-lock are kicking in, and the truck skips (best way I can describe it) forward about 3-6" and then catches (stops pulsating). I then let off the brake, mash the gas to the floor but I'm always out of the beams early (by 2 tenths or so) and I red light. However, I get the best 60' and final times when this happens, likely because I'm building more boost. If I play it conservative and only build a little boost, I can cut a good light, but truck stumbles, and my 60' times are 2 tenths off on average and of course my final time. My trap speed is always consistent though within .5 mph.

I'm wondering if I need stronger brakes, or just need to pull the fuse on the anti-lock brakes at the track? Anyone have this problem or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

maybe you are pushing to hard on the brake pedal to I know some cars they work that way if you push to hard on the pedal it will engage the anti lock system try just pushing on the brake pedal just enough to hold you still and see what happens. Just a suggestion I don't have anti lock so not sure if this is what is happening for you.

dalpilot said:
Never had a problem with mine. How much RPM you pushing?

Good to know! Not sure what RPM I am at. My eyes are always on the tree. LOL I will look next time and find out. Just out of curiosity, what RPM/Boost Pressure do you leave the line at? What are you 60's like?

KingS said:
maybe you are pushing to hard on the brake pedal to I know some cars they work that way if you push to hard on the pedal it will engage the anti lock system try just pushing on the brake pedal just enough to hold you still and see what happens. Just a suggestion I don't have anti lock so not sure if this is what is happening for you.

Good thought! I do mash the pedal pretty hard. :D I will try that!

Keep in mind that as soon as the ABS system detects slip (like your rear tires), it will cut off pressure to whatever was slipping. If pulling the fuse disables the ABS without any other problems, you may try running that way at the track. I did that in my Typhoon, as it seemed to allow me to build boost more consistently. My F350 just wheel hops if I try to build boost with it, so I leave with zero boost anyway.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Why are you flooring it? Does your turbo have a big exhaust housing...just ease into it...

BigB82789 said:
Why are you flooring it? Does your turbo have a big exhaust housing...just ease into it...

Right? I can't hold mine to the floor, the brakes won't hold me. I never look down just listen to the whistle in turbo. 1.8 60'times.

Michael said:
Keep in mind that as soon as the ABS system detects slip (like your rear tires), it will cut off pressure to whatever was slipping. If pulling the fuse disables the ABS without any other problems, you may try running that way at the track. I did that in my Typhoon, as it seemed to allow me to build boost more consistently. My F350 just wheel hops if I try to build boost with it, so I leave with zero boost anyway.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Good thought Michael! But, I am in 4 wheel drive. Would the transfer case allow the rears to spin free of the front wheels? I don't know enough about transfer cases to know. I am going to try the ABS fuse next time.

BigB82789 said:

I don't floor the throttle on the line, I ease into it but at some point it does what I described above. And, the point at which it does it I don't think is a whole lot of boost. Running a stock VG Turbo.

Mooring Product said:
Right? I can't hold mine to the floor, the brakes won't hold me. I never look down just listen to the whistle in turbo. 1.8 60'times.

I basically listen for the turbo as well. Last night with the situation I described above (brake skip), I had a 1.81 60' time and ran 8.90 @ 75mph. The next run I only built about half the boost, the brakes held, but my 60' was 2.00 and I ran 9.14 @ 75mph. Who knows?

Thanks for all the input! I appreciate it!

I light the second bulb, mash the brake pedal to the floor, start to build boost, and then it happens . . .
Build your boost pre stage and then creep forward and trip the second light...

BigB82789 said:
Build your boost pre stage and then creep forward and trip the second light...

I will give that a shot too. Thanks! This is the first turbo vehicle I have raced. I'm used to pulling up, bringing a bit of rpm up on my line lock, and then pedal down. ;)

If you leave at 20 lbs. of boost build like 15, then when you trip the 2nd light, build the rest...just seems easier on parts than stompin' it at the last couple seconds