starting a build

maddog912

So the planning begins. I am going to be putting a 24valve p-pump into an early 40's truck. What are the advantages/disadvantages of starting with a 12valve vs am24 valve?

Blocks are largely the same...should not have worry about a 53 block if you look for a 12v. And you wont have to search for conversion parts...just swap piston to match the head you're using.

I pooped today!!!!!

I wouldn't p-pump a 24 valve if you have both options available and are starting from scratch. You can port a 12 valve head for more flow than any of the 24 valve heads. A 12 valve can pump out a lot of horsepower with even no work to the head and will save you money if you're starting from scratch. A 24 valve head will flow more with no work however.

I'd start with a 12 valve and buy a 24 valve head. I'm guessing you are doing a rebuild and putting new pistons in anyway correct? If you buy a 12 valve, most of the conversion parts are already there. If you buy a whole truck, you can have the wiring as well. Then swap pistons for the 24 valve head and go.

The conversion kit alone will run you 3k, but you can probably buy a donor truck for close to that. Sell some parts and buy lines, intake spacer and injectors. $.02

Thanks for all the starter tips. Hoping to get started on the build this summer. Starting with a 12v block and adding the 24v head. Working on finding the truck to put it in. Probably a 52 IHC.

BA

stock 12 valves heads suck flow wise

Not really the case anymore. Lots of people here over 700hp here on a virgin head, and a couple over 900hp with nothing but gasket matched exhaust.

Like shughes said, don't worry about 53 blocks. Thats all I've been lucky enough to own, and they take my abuse just fine. Do try to find a storm block though, the extra oil drain is nice if you run twins.

Last edited: