starting issues please help

smalltownshaker

I have an '03' 6.0 that just recently had head work, studs and egr delete kit, new batteries and the ficm is at 48! It has trouble starting cold it will fire up and die immediately and after about the 4th time of doing that it usually fires up and stays running, also after the motor warms up if i shut if off for 5 minutes and come back all it will do is crank over. Any ideas please! I was tolled to check the ICP sensor?

Unplug the ICP and try starting. Does it act the same way or start smoother?

On the 03's and early 04's the ICP is in back behind the turbo. Often times oil would either leak out of the sensor or off the back of the motor and damage the wiring going to the sensor. Very common place to have to replace the sensor and the pigtail going to it. Like suggested, you can simply unplug it for now to see if it starts easier. Unplugging it just causes the PCM to default to 2000psi desired ICP, so it should start up just fine. If it does, replace the sensor and pigtail.

You can also try monitoring ICP actual, ICP desired and IPR duty cycle if you have access to a scanner.