Starting on the p-pump project again finally!

Light It Up

Ok after my truck sitting in my shop apart for 3months im gana start on it again. I have a ? about the gear housing gasket. I got a thin black one through cummins and didnt know if i could put 2 gaskets 2gether? I like the thick pink ones but they said they didnt have any? What do you guys think? I dnt wana have to take everything about in a month to put a new gasket in.

Also got my cam and didnt know if you guys had any pointers on installing a cam. I have assembly lube to put on each lobe and Im ordering oil additive from Hamilton cams for the breakin process.

i do not like stacking gaskets, almost always leaks. i usually get some RTV and put a very thin coating on the black paper gaskets to help hold them in place and to help seal. you dont need alot, i do this on anything involving coolant or oil.

I like to use a tiny bit of gray high presure rtv instead of gaskets.

I heard it was really important to mark the gears and make sure they get lined back up?

Hey black power stroke! Do you by chance have your ECM off your truck laying around since you are P-pumpin'? I need one to try for a test drive before I buy a new one for my truck. I have an 02 but I think since they are both manual it should work. If I paid shipping, could I borrow it for a day or two? Where ya located? I thought my IP was toast, but I'm almost certain now it is the ECM....AGAIN!!! Funny thing, the DRB shown nothing wrong, just a thousand pounds of soot.

Thanks!!

I heard it was really important to mark the gears and make sure they get lined back up?

its VERY important. they should have indexing marks stamped in them already. so, you can either bar the engine over till the all line up. or just mark all the gears with a paint pen. also, since there helix cut gears, make sure there still lined up when the teeth are meshed together. its easyer than you think to get them off.

Ok before i pull the cam out. Does it matter how the cam goes in? Does the new one need to sit in the same place the old one sat? Do I need to have number 1 cyl. need to be at TDC?