Starting with throttle, miss around 2800rpms, wont go into gear

99GreenCummins

That guy....
Ok, having issues with brothers puller, I'm no pump expert by any means.

Started after first pull of year, truck was fine, made one pass, then drove around pits and went to make 2nd pass, got off line, couldn't get traction (mud), truck shut down when let off pedal and wouldn't restart. Got home next day, ran fine, idle a little low, adjusted throttle linkage and all good.

Pull 2 weeks later, truck drove around pits and just fine, went to back into sled and died. Had to hold pedal to get to move. Made pass, truck died at end again and wouldn't restart, pulled on to trailer, fired next morning just fine.

I did a little reading and asking, thought that governor springs were loose. Tried tightening them up tonight and truck idled higher but still required pedal to start. Adjusted idle down go 1500 or so by the linkage and throttle stop. Issue is though, it won't go into gear(auto) without killing truck instantly. And if you try to free rev truck, it does not want to rev over 2800 rpms. It starts spitting and sputtering, throws flame out stack. Doesn't matter how you apply throttle.

Did I go wrong way with springs? I tightened them both up 5 clicks. Could they be unbalanced?

As I said, I'm no genius on these pumps and want to learn.......and hoping to hook tomorrow night.

Flames out the stack indicates late timing. I've also seen trucks die when put into gear when the idle springs were weak in the pump. Replaced the idle springs with ones from another pump and it fixed that guys issue.
Do you know what the fuel pressure is doing? And is it still running a shutoff solenoid for the pump? Solenoid could be getting hot and dropping the lever and after it sits overnight and cools it works fine again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ended finding that fuel pump had wiring issues for one, made new harness and put fass on a switch on the center console, truck still wouldn't go over 2800 rpms, took to reputable shop to fix pump issue, think he got that fixed, brother has been talking to him, not so much me.

Now to the dying issue when going into gear. He hasn't looked into it much yet but he believes that converter may be stuck in lockup. I agree that its what it seems like. Almost like pulled out and didn't unlock converter but that's not what happened, last hook it unlocked about 5-10 ft before truck stopped and was fine. We were able to drive truck where it is currently sitting and it was alright. Could we have damaged converter on one of the last hooks? I'm not questioning this guy either, he ran an auto puller for many years and has built many trans, just asking opinions.

Trans is originally a firepunk comp 1 and DPC converter. Probably has 10k street miles at least and 15 or so hooks on it. Just an FYI.

Video from first hook of season and first hook as a p-pump truck, was learning it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BIOA2it_6s

Back