Starts Kinda Funny

The Hill Billy

Ok, Ill start with the problem Im having. I installed an airdog II 165 on my 01 and began having starting issues. The very first crank after the install it started just fine and ran like a champ. Got up the next morning and it decided it didnt want to start. After new batteries and connections, checking check valves and cracking injector lines we got it to start by either pull starting it or a quick shot of ether. Once it started it ran great. Constant 15 psi of fuel at idle and only lost a few lbs at wot. If the ruck wasnt left shut off for more than 15 mins or so it would either start right up or shudder and shake and then start. There was no discernable cause of the difference.

Now I checked the t fitting at the back of the head, checked the seal on the airdog filters and re checked all the fittings everywhere. No leaks and no signs of sucking air. Now comes the funny part. When I start the truck, if I turn the key and dont wait for the wait to start light to go out, it fires right up. If I turn the key and wait longer than a couple of seconds ot wont start without help from ether.

Now my question is, does this narrow my problem down to the rubber diaphram inside rhe vp that I keep reading about breaking because of the lp? If the vp is bad, why does it still run strong and just not want to start after waiting for the light? Ive checked for codes and have come up with nothing.

As far as mods to the truck go, its got an edge ez and the airdog. To my knowledge nothing else has been done.

Last edited:
Ps, I sent this on my phone and apologize for any miskeys and misspellings. I tried to get them bust still missed a few.

-Billy-

How is the airdog wired up? Is it key hot or wired in with the factory delay? The problem might be to much pressure at start up. If you notice on the factory lift pump the pump would cycle for a second and then turn off until the truck was started. If you wired your pump in key hot you might just need to put it on a delay or something.

I wired it up the way the directions said to. The power supply goes to the battery. The way I understood it was hookin it into the wirin harness made it delay as needed. It will pump for a bit and then shut off. Then if I turn the key off it starts pumpin again for about 15 seconds or so. If I wait til it stops pumpin on the initial charge, it wont start. If I cranck durin the initial charge it fires up... Or am I not understandin it correctly?

Posting at 3:58 am this morning? You have chitty shift man. LOL I plan on seeing you next weekend. :D Hopefully you have her fixed by then. If not, don't kill it at the truck stops along I-40 on your way to Okrahoma! I forgot to measure last night, but I will tonight and text you the results.

I think we will make it alright Jory, but thanks. If we do get stranded youre my first call. Yes I am on a very odd shift at the moment. Just checked for codes again this morning and I have a p1693 but nothin else.

Sweet. You got the "DTC Code Detected" but "we aren't going to tell you which one" code. LOL