Steel Breaded Power Steering Lines?????

EvanBoothe

Has anyone done steel breaded power steering line? If so any pics possibly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe you meant steel braided?

Once breaded and deep fried the lines are stronger than kryptonite.

On that note, the fittings are nothing special,
But I've never seen anyone do it.

Sent from my flashscan v2

Once breaded and deep fried the lines are stronger than kryptonite.

On that note, the fittings are nothing special,
But I've never seen anyone do it.

:lolly:

Steel braided couldn't hurt, but I doubt there is much to be gained from doing this. Just the way that power steering and your hydroboost work, they wouldn't gain a ton from it.

Lol sorry auto correct.. And I'm not really looking to gain anything from it. I just wanted to do this more so for the nicer look, no leaking or anything.

I actually just had mine made this morning. Funny you posted this. Fitting from the hydro boost to the gear box are 18mm O-ring fitting, and the line form the booster to the power steering pump are 16mm O-ring fittings. Buy swivel 90* fittings NOT crimped into the hose. Use straight fittings on the lines. They wanted $30 a piece for 6 JIC swivel 90*'s that are crimped into the hose.

Lol sorry auto correct.. And I'm not really looking to gain anything from it. I just wanted to do this more so for the nicer look, no leaking or anything.

In that case, I say go for it! You can go to the Parker store and have them make you lines there, and they will probably have the fittings. If not, they can order you some. I think they test their steel braided lines to 10000psi pulses or something crazy like that.

I actually just had mine made this morning. Funny you posted this. Fitting from the hydro boost to the gear box are 18mm O-ring fitting, and the line form the booster to the power steering pump are 16mm O-ring fittings. Buy swivel 90* fittings NOT crimped into the hose. Use straight fittings on the lines. They wanted $30 a piece for 6 JIC swivel 90*'s that are crimped into the hose.

Do you have any pictures? Text me if you can 330-692-4984

I have used Russell Performance PowerFlex hose. It has a stainless braided outer and a teflon inner liner. They make all the adapter fittings too. Works great.

I only have one line done so far. But already looks a million times better. The first picture shows the 90* fitting NOT to get. LOL

92C6EFC4-E016-4993-B503-6B41688B89A1.jpg

3012D8C3-A289-4701-8ED2-6B947D4F286E.jpg

Dont mind the masking tape. Wanted to clean up the booster so I painted it up. And dont mind the wires in the first picture, still in the middle of doing my wire tuck.

Awesome thread. I cut my hydroboost and wanted to redo all my lines at once.

Great info murphy41, appreciate it

No problem. The only reason I suggest not to get that style 90* elbow is that they are $23/ea and a normal 6 JIC Male x Female 90* will do just fine and is only $6/ea. I didn't get a price on the 90* swivel hose end until he had built the line already. :doh:

No problem. The only reason I suggest not to get that style 90* elbow is that they are $23/ea and a normal 6 JIC Male x Female 90* will do just fine and is only $6/ea. I didn't get a price on the 90* swivel hose end until he had built the line already. :doh:

I learned the hard way to ask for prices before they build the hoses for my dual fuel setup....

Were those standard 16 and 18mm ORFS fittings they used for your hoses?

You can even just buy the lines and reusable fittings (earls, areoquip, xrp), and make them yourself, although it may cost alittle more.

I learned the hard way to ask for prices before they build the hoses for my dual fuel setup....

Were those standard 16 and 18mm ORFS fittings they used for your hoses?

Yes. Just 16 and 18mm ORFS to the 6 JIC male.

I was thinking of building my own out of anodized fittings from Aeroquip, Russels etc but I was unsure of the PSI rating they had, and opted to go with the crimp on style 3000psi lines.

On Edit: Those are all reusable fittings like the others offer, just not fancy anodized. Most of us use a heavy degreaser for the engines and anything with Caustic Soda, or Sodium Metasilicate, which most degreasers have in them, will pull the anodizing color out of the fittings.

Last edited:
Good to know on the degreaser, I didn't know that either.

Looks like I have a project for the power steering lines soon....

The degreaser will corrode the alternator housing pretty quick as well for whatever reason