Steering gear

zukgod1

Old fart
Ok, I've replaced the box about 80K ago and it's got a bit of play back in it now, not really bad just thinking I can make it better.
Just replaced the track bar and that makes it nicer for sure.

SO...
I'm wondering about just replacing it or rebuilding it.
I can get a kit to rebuild for a reasonable price but replacing the whole box with an OEM type is only $170.00 tops and I got 80k out of the last one.
I've adjusted the box to the max and had to back it out due to it not wanting to recenter after a turn and I can still get probably 1.5-2" of movement out of the steering wheel.

Suggestions?

dan

Last edited:
All depends on how much you want to work, if rebuilding it is easy enough for you to do, rebuild it, if you don't want the hassle replace it. Personally I would rebuild it but I like taking things apart and seeing how many parts I can leave out and it still work LOL LOL

Guess I'll se how much a rebuild kit is and get a new one just in case the rebuild goes wrong.
Tearing it appart doesnt scare me at all, now putting it back together that's another story...

dan

To pull slack out of the steering do the following;

On top of the steering box is an allen head screw that has a locknut on it (11/16 IIRC). Holding the screw in place with an allen wrench break the lock nut loose, turn the allen screw IN about 1/4 to 1/2 turn and relock. Test drive and repeat as needed and don't make big adjustments.