stereo ?

ChaseN

Jobless/Truckless
ok here's the deal.
bought this 06 and the dealer put in an alpine head unit, rockford speakers in all the doors, rockford 400w amp to run the speakers and another amp for the subs (but the didn't give me subs). the did all this so i would buy the truck.

remind you, the truck came factory with a 6disc/SIRUS/steering wheel controls/Infinity.

Now i don't want any of this stereo crap they installed because i want SIRUS and the steering wheel controls to work.

my question is, can i simply go back to a factory 6disc and all will work fine or what?

I dont know a whole bunch about stereos but I used to tinker with my sytem in my '00 F150 and it should just be a case of getting the stock stereo with the wiring harness and connecting it. The aftermarket stereo should just come out and have a harness connected to your truck. They wouldnt wire the new speakers to directly to the unit. It will probably be wired to the truck harness. But thats Just a guess. Id say make a quick stop to your local audio outlet, have them pop it out and take a quick look. Shouldnt take them but a few minutes to tell you yes or no.

that's the problem, since the speakers are all run off an amp, all new wiring has been ran to them directly from amp to speakers then RCA's connecting the amp to headunit.

i have always been a pro at stereo installs but when it comes to utilizing the factory options, that's why my knowledge stops haha

Well I would like to think that even with that you could use the stock unit by plugging it into the harness and then keep the amp in it to help push the speakers a bit more than just your stock unit could. The only problem Im thinking of now is where exactly the wires were connected from the speakers and amp. Because a harness was connected to the stock harness so it could fit the aftermarket unit. therefore it depends on where the wires were connected. LoL Sorry Im probably not helpin much just makin you more confused. I think im even confusing myself. usually happens when I try and help out HAHA

haha i understand what you're saying, but another problem is..

factory infinity systems use an amp, i have to remove the amp to run the factory unit with the amp i am using now, and i don't know where the factory amp is lol.

ahh i think i'm taking this sucker to mothers or best buy this week

Yeah thats your best bet they could probably give you a few quick options fairly quick. Did they give you the stock unit? I hear stock units are expensive but have never priced them. Though you could probably sell the aftermarket to get the cash.

no he sold it all. i just bought one off eBay for 300 bucks.
thanks for input man.

anyone know where factory amp is?

Factory amps on Dodges I believe are on each OEM speaker themselves???

Factory amps on Dodges I believe are on each OEM speaker themselves???

Yes...at least in the older ones.

Yes...most aftermarket heads off some sort of interface to hook up factory steering wheel controlls. You may have to go to an AUTHORIZED Alpine dealer to find out the real poop on it. As for just swapping out the head as it sits now, the main power for your amps should run straight to the batt. So you will need to supply them with a remote turn on lead, and an audio signal from your stock head. This can be done with simple converter boxes available from most audio stores. Good luck, gotta have those jams!

as far as the remote wire, i have plans to wire it to the cigar lighter since that's only on with key.

as far as the RCA's, i have a high-to-low convertor box that will tie into the speakers and take care of that..

first i'm going to see what it'd cost me to get my steering controls and see if this unit has SIRUS, if so i'm game! :rockwoot:

as far as the remote wire, i have plans to wire it to the cigar lighter since that's only on with key.

as far as the RCA's, i have a high-to-low convertor box that will tie into the speakers and take care of that..

first i'm going to see what it'd cost me to get my steering controls and see if this unit has SIRUS, if so i'm game! :rockwoot:

Good idea...if that doesn't work out sounds like you have the other end of it all sorted out. Good luck...

The factory amp is behind the glovebox. If they ran all new wire from the amp to the speakers, then you will have to hook the factory speaker harness up to each of the door speakers.

You'll also need to verify how they got the input signal to the amp...they may have used line-level inputs and the factory speaker wire.

--Eric

the dealer put all this in the truck so you would buy it, and now you don't want it...seems like deja vu...:hehe:

apointment at 1pm tomorrow at audio outlet to hook up steering wheel controls and SIRUS sat radio. :rockwoot:

i hope there is a way to dim the head unit also because when i drive at night i have to leave the face open cause it's way too bright.

Back