Stock head gasket failures?

Snedge

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Hey Men. And Ladies where it applies. Just needing some input on cylinder head gasket failures.
At what point during modification did you experience gasket failure.
(CR engines with MLS)
I know that some people went with studs and rings and stuff, before they had failures.
I want to hear from the folks that blew one first. Then fixed. How much boost where you seeing ? Anyone seeing better than 50 psi without issues?

On edit I just noticed another thread just like this one almost. sorry to twinmega06 Great minds think alike they say.

Last edited:
I have had great luck with my stocker. LOL I think it may have finally left go, but I am not 100% sure yet. I have been seeing a small spot of antifreeze that randomly occurs after sitting over night. I will look into it more this weekend and see if it finally gave up from the abuse. If so, it will mostly go back together with another MLS. After all this one has seen a lot of serious abuse over the past 42K miles.

Imills, is the antifreeze on the passenger side of you engine? If it is it's probably the rubber hose fitting underneath the exhaust manifold & to the rear. Mine was doing that and it had somehow slid down a bit. I moved it back up and tightened it and no problems since. Just a thought.

Justin

unfortunately Justin, it is on the front of the engine. :D

We have had the stock gasket on along with studs and never blown one. 100K on the clock and all the abuse you could think of, still purrs like a kitten. At times we have been over 70lbs of boost and nitrous. I think it has alot to do with tuning more than anything.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm still looking for someone that has actually blown the gasket in its stock form. Anyone?

Your boost numbers on when the HG blows will be very scattered.
I think most people would be shocked at what a stocker can hold if the truck is fully warmed up.
I've seen O-rings and studs fail on mild boost launches, but a cold motor.

But I would like to know what is the good-bye point as well. On a fully warmed engine. I'm quessing about 60psi.

Thanks. Good point. I didn't specify that. I'm looking for the gaskets that failed under normal operating temps. Not just pulled it out of the shop without warming and pounding on it.

Robertp said:
No cold runs here, always warmed up. Good point.

Plus the fact that you have studs installed disqualifies you. You fall into the fixed before failure category. :)
Unless you blew the original?

We've got a stock '03 without studs thats in the process of going out... typical over-pressurizing the coolant reservoir, heater core gurgling.

Lyn, if you're reading this one, have you seen any more symptoms?

Personally i have stock bolts and run 50-55lbs of boost and have made over 600hp.

joefarmer said:
We've got a stock '03 without studs thats in the process of going out... typical over-pressurizing the coolant reservoir, heater core gurgling.

Lyn, if you're reading this one, have you seen any more symptoms?

Yes, please expound. I'll assume the '03 is over-fueled? Not stock?

Jetpilot said:
Just put some ARP 625+ studs in it and :D

I'm with you if your gonna go overkill why not do it on something that will help hold your engine together longer:cool:

I seen as much as 63 pounds of boost no problems just wait till it warms up Waite till 180 or 200 and I have had no problems

As far as my brothers(Lyn) 03, the cooling system just over pressurizes, pushing coolant out of the overflow bottle, and frequent "no heat" air pockets while driving. He's taken the thermostat completely out and took it on a run and it over pressurized without the thermostat in place.

the truck has barely ever seen high EGT's and doesn't tow frequently. Boost with stock turbo is set @35-36psi. I'm pretty sure its a HG as my 01 did the exact symptoms this past summer when my HG blew

Lavon

LAmiller said:
As far as my brothers(Lyn) 03, the cooling system just over pressurizes, pushing coolant out of the overflow bottle, and frequent "no heat" air pockets while driving. He's taken the thermostat completely out and took it on a run and it over pressurized without the thermostat in place.

the truck has barely ever seen high EGT's and doesn't tow frequently. Boost with stock turbo is set @35-36psi. I'm pretty sure its a HG as my 01 did the exact symptoms this past summer when my HG blew

Lavon
thats exactly what mine has started doing under full boost. tst on makes it alot worse. guess its time fore some arp's