Stock HX35 in Twins Setup

arthr31

resident cynic
Hi there,

I'm currently thinking about upgrading my turbo on my '98 12-valve (stock HX-35). The current stock unit seems to be in good shape although it does have 132K plus on it...

So my questions are:
a) has anyone done this? use the stock hx35 in a twins setup as the top turbo?
b) Is this a good idea?
c) what kind of power can I expect with this setup before exceeding limits?
d) what would be a good bottom turbo in this configuration?

E) Should I just get a better larger/better performing single

This is a daily driver, but I like to go fast at the track (try to) and I'm thinking about amatuer pulling.

also, when I upgrade the turbo, I'll likely go with bigger injectors. This too is undecided, looking for about 100hp more (500HP / 1000tqt or slightly less is the goal)

the truck is a '98 12-v with a 10plate, 191DVs, timing at 18*, 4" exhaust, bhaf, etc. ya get the idea..:rockwoot:

Thoughts? And thx in advance... And, sorry if this is either the :wrong: or has been discussed before (I looked but didn't find exactly this...)

I probably won't answer all of your questions but the short answer is yes. A buddy has a 24 valve with a modified hx 35 on top of a S400 and he is dyno'n in the high 500's on fuel with respectable EGT's...I'm sure more will chime in.

A 35/s400 combo is a very popular set of twins. Fast spooling, cool egt's, and can support 600hp.

Forrest Nearing said:
Rip at sourceautomotive sells kits

I second this, but the twins kit is not on his newly updated site yet.

I'm going to use my HX35 in a twins setup later on down the road, but I'm going to have it upgraded to a 35/40 first I do believe. $.02

PDR uses the 35 in there towing twins.

I've run the 35/S400 before using Rip's stuff. If I were to do it again, I'd at least do a full HX40 on top.

Twins are coming up on our new site soon but they are available shoot Rip or myself a call

Bill

I think Haisley Machine also has a twins kit that uses the stock HX35. An HX40 would be a bit better though. You can pick them up all day long for about $300-$500. What size injectors are you planning on going with?

I remember this one knuckle head that ran a 35/3B setup back in 03' and pushed it to 670 on fuel and 706 with water!

It's not a bad setup at all, much better with a divorced gate though! Holset wategates are not too good.

Jim

Lol they have forgotten. A year or two ago everybody would have been saying 35/3b

Thanks all for the responses. Regarding injectors, that's undecided at the moment. Probably looking to add 75/100hp more (in the neighborhood of 450-500HP)..

Now bout the hx40, I have heard that their shafts are weaker than that of the hx35 and are prone to snap. True ? Part of me wanting to use the hx35 is just to simply re-use/use what I already have...

Give Scott @ Mass Diesel a call, he's local to you and has a damned good reputation up in MA......

Oh I will.. I'm just working up some ideas before heading over to his shop. Thanx.

I am currently running a 35 over a s400 and put down 530 rwhp a couple of weeks ago on fuel only for some reason my water system wasn't working.I have found with holsets that you must do something with the waste gate to keep drive pressures in line.I currently run a tial 38 mm waste gate on my system to keep the drive pressures in check.If you are wanting 500-600 hp I would suggest some 130-150 hp sticks.Good luck.

arthr31 said:
Thanks all for the responses. Regarding injectors, that's undecided at the moment. Probably looking to add 75/100hp more (in the neighborhood of 450-500HP)..

Now bout the hx40, I have heard that their shafts are weaker than that of the hx35 and are prone to snap. True ? Part of me wanting to use the hx35 is just to simply re-use/use what I already have...

The 40 is supposed to have the same shaft as the 35, but the heavier compressor stresses the shaft more when the turbo barks (reverses direction). Some of the aftermarket 40's might have bigger shafts swapped in.

If you go with twins you'll have to pull against some hotter trucks than if you stick with a single.

Back