stock lift pump

TommyT

anyone know about how much power can be made utilizing a good working order stock lift pump? and it should feed a 62mm with no issues right?
thanks

Tommy

I've been told 600whp+ can be done on a stock lift pump. so yes it should it should feed your turbo plenty of fuel, but it doesn't look like you have much fuel. a mack rack plug, some bigger delivery valves. bigger injectors maybe? What do you use your truck for?

basically to F off with....not a daily.....its also got 60lbs springs, ats manifold, and a clutch

is the mack plug used on non 215 pumps or all? ive only been reading....im very new to diesel, my last truck was a gas mini w/ a trubo

from what i've read you can use the mack rack plug on all the pumps but if you want to use it on a 215 pump you need to run higher timing like around 26 degrees,so I would probably upgrade your injectors to something like a 5x.014 or 5x.016

they were a little dirty... 5x14's were the best all around injector I've run, but the point is, the stock lift pump does a pretty damn good job!

you guys are awesome with the quick replys!

i thought i had to much fuel, only because it just keeps blowin some pretty thick black smoke all the way through the gear @ 43psi

sounds like you do... my 98 w/ 5x16's would haze at 50psi, but it was FAR from thick/black

do you have full cut DV's in it?

to my knowledge they are stock.....all ive added to the truck since ive bought it was the turbo, manifold, timing and str8 4in, and gauges

i was told the injectors were marine 370's

also it runs way hot! i can lay into it in 5th and ive hit 1700* and let out.....thats got to be way to hot

depends on how old your fuel pump is and what condition your fuel lines are etc....

i got sick of OFV and stock filter placement so i ripped it all out.... but that was my decision, not nessecity

sounds like you do... my 98 w/ 5x16's would haze at 50psi, but it was FAR from thick/black

do you have full cut DV's in it?

yah my truck would haze pretty good still at 60psi with that turbo i had from pius which was pretty similar to an a5k.

Mine would run out of fuel over 3000 RPM and "pop" until I put on the air dog pump. Definitely got more power out of it afterward too, but some of the above guys have way more experience than me with this. In my case it was holding me back somewhere in the high 300s and anything over 3000 RPM.

Mine would run out of fuel over 3000 RPM and "pop" until I put on the air dog pump. Definitely got more power out of it afterward too, but some of the above guys have way more experience than me with this. In my case it was holding me back somewhere in the high 300s and anything over 3000 RPM.

that sounds like a timing issue, because I have been on a stock lift pump and been over 450whp and gone right to 4000rpm and no popping or anything, just smooth power. even in nuetral it would rev to 3500 nice and smooth. or it could have just been a dirty fuel filter, that will also cause the same symptons you described.

that sounds like a timing issue, because I have been on a stock lift pump and been over 450whp and gone right to 4000rpm and no popping or anything, just smooth power. even in nuetral it would rev to 3500 nice and smooth. or it could have just been a dirty fuel filter, that will also cause the same symptons you described.

I know... that's what I thought and heard also - I chased it for years. That includes everything you mentioned above, including checking, adjusting, and readjusting the timing with my factory timing tools, fuel lines, filters, injectors, pump parts I put in, pump tuning, and finally having the problem both before and after Scheid did my pump. Some things I even did twice just to make sure I hadn't done it wrong or gotten a bad part/filter. When I finally went to the bigger fuel system, the problem went away. :shrug:

Like I said, just my experience. Forrest, Fulmer, and others I respect have said things in direct conflict with this, and they know more about p-pumps than I ever will. For me, more fuel supply fixed it after I exhausted ever other avenue.

sounds like there might have been something wrong w/ your lift pump... or sucking air in the fuel lines?

there's obviously nothing wrong with a good fuel system! I just prefer OEM stuff on my trucks when I can keep it on there, and up to ~550-575rwhp, I'll just leave a mechanical lift pump on. YMMV