Stock Trans Cooler Lines Mod

Red Sleeper

If you have 2nd gen Dodge with stock transmission cooler lines then you may run into the same problem I ran into. I'm not sure if the 3rd gens have this same setup as well.. Maybe someone can confirm.. I got home from a day of driving and transmission fluid covered the driveway where I had parked. I had an obvious leak from the quick connect fittings that connect to the hard lines at the front driver side of the block. I washed everything off really good, cranked it up and watched. It was a steady leak from the quick connector. After talking to a friend of ours that works on transmissions he told me that those lines have an o-ring in there, and that maybe it could be tore but it was probably the fitting. Replaced the o-ring and it still leaked. Got two new lines which cost $125 for both. (they are different) Swapped them out and I still had a leak. As my dad and I were looking at for a while and trying different things to rule out heat exchanger pluggage, cooler plugged, etc. Got to looking closer at where the little clip holds the two lines together, and the clip had rubbed through on the flare of the hard line.

There is a small groove in the flare on the bottom.

We had some 1/2'' fuel line at the house so dad and I decided to just run that, slide it over the flare and put a hose clamps on it... We took a counter sink and kinda gave the end of the hose a taper to help it slide over the flare.

Blew it out and installed it.

It was a paint in the rear to get it over that flare but it worked great!

Went ahead and did both for future preventive maintenance.

The other end where the hard lines are coming from the cooler. Tight quarters but its doable.

I didn't have the quick disconnect tool for the cooler lines and out trans buddy couldn't find his, so I made my own.

Just split a piece of 3/4'' conduit. Worked GREAT!

I made a slight mess on dad's concrete but nothing a pressure washer won't take care of.

I hope this helps someone in the future who has the same problem.

Last edited:
Back