STP Oil Treatment

Diehard Ram

Sled puller no more
I was in the parts store the other day and saw this STP Oil treatment. The price is cheap for an oil treatment. Was under $3.00. Is this stuff any good. Trying to save money any where i can, with $4.00 fuel i got too!

I was in the parts store the other day and saw this STP Oil treatment. The price is cheap for an oil treatment. Was under $3.00. Is this stuff any good. Trying to save money any where i can, with $4.00 fuel i got too!

Ive found the red bottles at big lots for 1.50 or 2.00. I bought a few.

I use the blue one's from O'Reilly's because they have(or claim to) zddp additive in them. $2.99 a bottle 3 bottles for an oil change....its cheaper than lucas and if you take a bottle of lucas oil stablizer & stp and pour them both out they look identical.

Been running it in my tow rig since the last oil change, lucas the two before that....can't tell any difference....haven't sent any oil samples off either though. More or less better piece of mind.

Last edited:
I use the blue one's from O'Reilly's because they have(or claim to) zddp additive in them. $2.99 a bottle 3 bottles for an oil change....its cheaper than lucas and if you take a bottle of lucas oil stablizer & stp and pour them both out they look identical.

Been running it in my tow rig since the last oil change, lucas the two before that....can't tell any difference....haven't sent any oil samples off either though. More or less better piece of mind.

IIRC the red has a more zzdp than the blue. This was thed first time I've seen red bottles in person. I usualy buy blue. **** is thick as honey.

IIRC the red has a more zzdp than the blue. This was thed first time I've seen red bottles in person. I usualy buy blue. **** is thick as honey.

How do you know which has more zddp in it? Which parts house had it?

How do you know which has more zddp in it? Which parts house had it?

Either a thread here or somewhere else. I can't remember at the moment. Someone was emailed stp for the info.

I got it at big lots its like a department store that gets stuff form other stores that couldn't sell it.

I have seen engine oil poured out of poorly maintained engines, it looked like honey. Spend the 10 bucks and get it analyzed.

I bought like 20 of them last year for like $8 each. I understand trying to save some coin, but I would find some place that can do a sample.

I bought like 20 of them last year for like $8 each. I understand trying to save some coin, but I would find some place that can do a sample.

Where do you send yours to be tested Dan? :poke:*bdh*:bang

LOL :hehe:

I've never used STP for oil treatment. Use it for prelube on engine builds, no failures yet.

What are you using the STP as an alternative to? Are there others that are maybe better but more expensive?

I am using the Lucas zinc break in additive.

Last edited:
I'm just tryin to find an alternative to paying $10-$12 a bottle for zink additive, to run in my stuff. If this stuff is good enough,and no one yet has had any problems with it. I guess i will try it. I gota save money where i can.

2 bottles a oil change and you'll be fine.