strange pinging/metal noise in engine and #1 valve cover gasket leaking

tony597fitter

Tax Payer
Just yesterday, I popped my hood and found that the #1 valve cover gasket was leaking oil out of it. I just changed my gaskets about 10,000 miles ago. Its not a small leak either, it was a good amount of oil.
I also noticed or heard, when my truck is running it has a strange metal pinging noise from the engine. This is new, it just started with the valve cover gasket.
Now, I done some searching and cant seem to pinpoint it by searching. It sounds like it could be a number of things.
Also, I have noticed lately that the truck has had some more than usual blowby.
I am now worried it is,
A. a burnt piston
or
B. a cracked ring

Engine only has 175,000 miles on it.

What is the best way to diagnose this problem?

If anybody has had the same problem let me konow.
All help is appreciated

You could start by loosening one injector line at a time to pin point a cylinder.

Not quite the exact same problem, but close and I found this and it was also the #1 piston...

Piston-PassengerSide.JPG

If it was me, I'd do a compression test on that cylinder, either way you're looking at a piston and/or head gasket and/or valves and/or head assuming you're losing compression. Compression check will verify you have a leak, once you know that you will have to remove the head and dive in. Pings, ticks, clacks and knocks have a variety of sources on a 12v. Overflow valves, lift pumps, return lines can all hammer or tick. Compression testing will give you a direction to start. Good luck.

OK, heres an update.
I just went out and started at the obvious, no oil in the antifreeze, then I went and checked the oil and it was 1 gal. low. I just checked it on friday and everything was normal.
Now, could this be a head gasket? I still havent changed mine, and I dont know when or if it was ever done. I know people say that when the HG goes it leaves an oily mess in the antifreeze (most common), but I have also read that in a few cases that when a headgasket goes it could also be on the (oiling side) if this makes any sense.
Also, the truck still runs great at idle and when running. I also noticed that my black smoke has turned a light black.
Also, after I filled the engine with oil the metal pinging noise went away.

Last edited:
1 gallon would make me nervous. Yes, head gaskets can blow in different directions if it blows to the oil side (driver's side) you can blow one and not have any cross contamination between the cooling system and oiling system. Check the driver's side of the engine for any oil waterfalls (behind the injection pump, etc.) Otherwise you may be just burning oil on that number 1 cylinder (or more). You need a compression check hopefully you've maintained oil pressure and haven't hurt any bearings during all of this.

Im not even going to bother with the compression test.
The truck goes under the knife tommorrow. I need to stud and o-ring her anyway.
I am just crossing my fingers that its only the headgasket, but knowing my luck Im in for a rebuild.
Thanks for the help satburn.
I will keep updating this and hopefully get some pics.
It seems as though this truck is my downfall. Its just been a money pit for the last few months.

Satburn, when you burned your pistons and scored the cyl. wall, did you do a full rebuild? Or did you just hone or bore out the cylinders.
Also, what are my options on pistons?

My "knock" was there from the day I bought it. Sometime in it's previous life it suffered some sort of oiling issue on that #1 cylinder. The wrist pin seized and resulting damage occured. I did wrist pins and up on my truck. Crank, mains, rods and journals were all in great shape. As bad as that piston looked, it still cleaned up really nice. My rings had "re-honed" the cylinder walls back somewhat smooth, the bore was still within spec, so I honed them out and other than a slight taper, it was fine.

Pistons? You can go OEM/Mahle/Aries, there are several options. The Mahles will be your budget set. If you've got the 435s from New Era, you should have the correct spray pattern for an OEM bowl. Lots of it will depend on what you find. If the pistons are great and you just ate a head gasket, get the head decked, throw an o-ring and gasket on it and keep going. If you got 1 hole bad, I'd be tempted to just put a new OEM piston in the hole and keep going. More than one bad? Go for a set. I don't know what you plan to do with the truck though.

Well, since I have already spent more than the truck is worth I will be keeping her LOL!!!
No, really I plan on keeping her for a long time. I researched diesel for quite a while before buying one. I then found this one for pretty cheap so I jumped on it.
I need to get the head off to see exactly what I am going to do with it. Scheid diesel is only about an hour from me. It seems that either they do great work or o.k. work from what I have read on the forums. If it needs a rebuild I will take it to them or have a buddy of mine who builds engines help me out.
Thanks again for your input.

Last edited: