Stranger than usual noise from 03 turbo

snowbound

Even my 7 year old daughter asked what was making such a weird sound on my truck. It sounds like an idler pulley starting to pile up , like a bearing screeching , but its coming from the turbo. As I stood listening to it , it quit. I shut it off and restarted it and it came back. Any ideas ?

Are you sure it's from the turbo? Mine is making a squeal/squeaking noise as well and it is one of the belts. I forget which one though.

That was my first thought , but it seemed to be coming from too far back. Then it quit ?? I'll have to get a closer look / listen in the daylight.

Drivers side up pipe. Lift the hood, rev it and see if you don't get a little black smoke out of that area.

Drivers side up pipe. Lift the hood, rev it and see if you don't get a little black smoke out of that area.

Mine does that exact thing Dal. Would that also cause there to be the smell of exhaust in the cab? Everytime I turn on my heater I smell a mixture of burnt coolant and exhaust....and I think it's starting to drive me a little loopy:bang

Even my 7 year old daughter asked what was making such a weird sound on my truck. It sounds like an idler pulley starting to pile up , like a bearing screeching , but its coming from the turbo. As I stood listening to it , it quit. I shut it off and restarted it and it came back. Any ideas ?

If it's the turbo...the next thing that'll happen is you'll be driving down the orad...it'll screech really LOUD and a bunch of white smoke will come out your tailpipe....then you'll replace the turbo with a new one.

Once the bearings go....it's done for.

The main sources of shrill type noises would be from the flex joints on the pipe. The gasket at the egr cooler on both ends. The EGR valve to manifold in the front. The gasket where the up pipes are connected on the passenger side above the egr cooler connection. Tighten the 2 8mm bolts holding down the EGR. Tighten the 2 10mm bolts holding the front of the EGR cooler up near the curve on the front of the intake manifold on the passenger side. If you smell exhaust in the A/C it could also be any of the above as well.

I did notice a fuel smell in the cab. Egr has been blocked off at up pipe. I'll have a close look.

Yip, one of the bellows is leaking.

The main sources of shrill type noises would be from the flex joints on the pipe. The gasket at the egr cooler on both ends. The EGR valve to manifold in the front. The gasket where the up pipes are connected on the passenger side above the egr cooler connection. Tighten the 2 8mm bolts holding down the EGR. Tighten the 2 10mm bolts holding the front of the EGR cooler up near the curve on the front of the intake manifold on the passenger side. If you smell exhaust in the A/C it could also be any of the above as well.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it. And sorry if I hijacked the thread!

Hijack away. It helped both of us. I have a leak thats visible above the exhaust downpipe , don't remember a bellows on top of the passenger side up pipe. Is the top of the drivers side visible from the passenger side of the engine bay. Any one have a picture of the back of the engine ? One on Ebay , will an 05 fit an 03 ?

Last edited:
Back