Street tires.

fosterriley

Just wanna go fast
I'm looking to buy a new set of tires for my 20" wheels. I would like them to be a good set of street tires and for them to hook well. I know that the nitto 420s hook well but everyone has them. The old toyo proxes looked sweet and worked great so I've heard. But they are out of stock in the size that I need. 305/50/20. Has anyone heard anything about the tires listed below as far as miles and traction? Any other suggestions?
General grabber UHP
http://http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDetailsServlet?gclid=CjwKEAiAmNW2BRDL4KqS3vmqgUESJABiiwDT3DfpTYHKq7HDLbmY33qmFRWT1f6X6W7m44Q2lzEOeBoCdxjw_wcB&partnum=565HR6GRUHP&ef_id=VhMroAAAAKpNgCik:20160301141157:s&KEYWORD=tires.jsp_General_Grabber_UHP_Tire&ci_src=17588969&tireModel=Grabber+UHP&ci_sku=565HR6GRUHP&ci_sku=565HR6GRUHP&src=17540115&code=yes&tireMake=General&GCID=C13674x012-tire&

Toyo proxes st ii
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/295-45R20-Proxes-S-T2.aspx?t_c=13&t_s=536&t_pt=101509&t_pn=TOY244300&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1&gclid=CjwKEAiAmNW2BRDL4KqS3vmqgUESJABiiwDTEDsNvx1v6uAlXzG1KE_JV-mX9NAG06p8pIMv2iIAthoCjvvw_wcB

I had the toyo's st 2s on my srt jeep, they handled like a dream over the crappy Pirelli tires that come from the factory. They hooked well on wet roads. I can't say much on the mileage, I sold it shorty after I put them on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I noticed about the nt420 is that the rubber compound is soft/flexible, and the compound on my proxes stII is much firmer than the 420's.

I never ran them on the track but what about cooper zeons ltz
I thought about those but I had a buddy who ran then and he said they didn't hook all that well. So I figured I wouldn't want to pay more for less.

One thing I noticed about the nt420 is that the rubber compound is soft/flexible, and the compound on my proxes stII is much firmer than the 420's.

Yeah that's similar to what I found on other forums. I just prefer the look of the other options.

Proxes st2 on my half ton. Best riding tire I've had and hooks well on the street.

had some proxe stII's on my old truck. they put 600hp down to the street pretty darn good

I went with 305/50/20 Kumho ecsta's for my truck. They have the same 3086lb load rating that a 420 has but these have a higher speed rating. They seem to do well at keeping 1200whp tame on the street. Very quiet and ride great.

20151016_093703_zps6zmanfph.jpg

20151021_082756_zpst6jiteml.jpg

I went with 305/50/20 Kumho ecsta's for my truck. They have the same 3086lb load rating that a 420 has but these have a higher speed rating. They seem to do well at keeping 1200whp tame on the street. Very quiet and ride great.

20151016_093703_zps6zmanfph.jpg

20151021_082756_zpst6jiteml.jpg

Those look pretty sweet! Do you have any other pictures from a little farther away?

Thanks man. Yeah I think those are my new favorites at the moment. Sweet setup by the way.

Kumho ecsta were my #2 choice, #3 were the ventus. I would've liked the OG proxes but I'm picky about sizes and they don't offer what I want anymore.

Also I'm not worried about towing either, my tires are only rated for ~2600lbs or so, keep in mind before you buy.

Last edited:
Kumho ecsta were my #2 choice, #3 were the ventus. I would've liked the OG proxes but I'm picky about sizes and they don't offer what I want anymore.

Also I'm not worried about towing either, my tires are only rated for ~2600lbs or so, keep in mind before you buy.

Not planning on towing much at all. Small jet boat and a wakeboarding boat once or twice a year. Think this will be an issue?

Not planning on towing much at all. Small jet boat and a wakeboarding boat once or twice a year. Think this will be an issue?

The small jet boat won't be an issue, the wakeboard boat maybe. But even then it shouldn't have an insane amount of tongue weight loading the back of your truck down, I'd think most of the weight would be on the trailers axles.

The small jet boat won't be an issue, the wakeboard boat maybe. But even then it shouldn't have an insane amount of tongue weight loading the back of your truck down, I'd think most of the weight would be on the trailers axles.

That's what I was thinking. The wake boat has a 2 axle trailer.

The Kuhmos have been great for me, with what little driving I did on them. They held to the pavement much better than 420s, and that was with about 200hp more at the wheels, than with 420s.

Back