Strength of a 10.5 Sterling

super duty04

Has anyone pushed the Sterling 10.5 to the limits? What are the most common failures with them? I have pulled with it for 3 years with no issues at a moderate hp level. Doing a motor build in my puller and should be making way more power than the years past.

nathan drop something else in there. if u could utilize a aam. i went throu 4 axles 2 r&ps and one tru trac in 7 hooks.

That don't sound good. I will start the search for something stronger. Thanks Matt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ I wouldn't go 14 bolt. You can get an AAM 11.5 (Upgraded 14 bolt) for the same price but its a good bit stronger.

I would have a Dana 80 or AAM 11.5 on standby for when it let's loose. But depending how well you hook it may go the first pull. So you may wanna sell it while its worth something.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure its a sterling 10.25. Not a big deal though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

They made Sterling 10.25 and Ford made the 10.5. All parts are interchangeable and most aftermarket R&P's were 10.25 for both axles for a while. Not sure if they still are or not.

The thing that makes the 10.25/50 weak is it doesn't have a lot of pinion support. The 14 bolt has the extra pinion bearing for the nose of the pinion keeping deflection really under control and the D80's housing is just stinking massive compared to the 10.50 with lots of heavy webbing. The 10.50 doesn't have that.

10.5 vs dana 80 pinion. The 10.5 will break.
25940_10151724082663722_134859613_n_zps3bb4848a.jpg

Last edited:
WOW! I really never new there was that big of a size difference. I will be looking into getting at least a dana80. Thanks for all the help guys.

Drop a D80 in there. You can find them dodges And cab n chassis f-250 n 350. Just have to move the spring perches.

I would try and find one out of a dodge because they have a better inner pinion bearing design and hold up to more abuse than the ford dana 80's.

I would go for something bigger than a sterling. I ran a sterling for half of a year with singles and no problems. I put duals on and snapped an axle and ripped teeth off of the ring gear as soon as I left the clutch out on the first hook.