Structural Considerations for Twins...

600 Megawatts

Many Irons in the Fire
Just thinking about the loads on the exhaust manifold from hangin a big honkin primary turbo, hot pipe, secondary turbo, compressor piping, and even a portion of the exhaust system and downpipe all on that manifold that was essentially designed to hang a single HX35 on ??

Anbody cracking good three-piece exhaust manifolds with the weight of twins?

Has anyone fabbed up a sprung support to the side/back of the block to carry the majority of the weight of the primary ?? This is what I in thinking of doing in the fall when I build the twins....

Most use brackets , they mount in some cases from the two bolt holes in the tranny adaptor plate up to the motor mount.

Our TwinPlate has a spot to brace it to the rear of the manifold and the bellhousing. Takes the load off the center section. It also has a wastegate provision.

this is how my bracket looks the drain pipe is made with it

Attachments

• truck rebuild 089.jpg
    truck rebuild 089.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 124
  • truck rebuild 062.jpg
    truck rebuild 062.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 153
I know rip's kit has a bracket that mounts on the oil drain spot and incorporates the oil drain in to it. Pretty neat little thing.

yep, Rip's bracket fits a S400 and a GT42 (just have to gring on it to make it fit)

Next you may want to consider how much the hot pipe grows as it heats up. It's not much, but it has the ability to play havoc on gaskets.

Also, Hot pipe welds if not done correctly, will crack. If you use a non pre-heated workpiece, and a MIG, try to do a post heat treat on the pipe to anneal the welds.

If you dont have an oven, a rosebud works just as well.

I made this bracket in about a half hour. 3/16 304 stainless. There is a third bolt to the rear of the bracket that is hidden by the ex. housing. s400 frame turbo on a CR block. When I get my oxy. bottle filled I will rebraze the oil drain to where I want it pointed.

Attachments

• s480 bracket.jpg
    s480 bracket.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 122
Yep, thats what I thinkin too. I cant believe those who dont have a support arent cracking manifolds....

Thanks for all the posts !!!!

I ran without a support for quite awhile with a BHT3B... I don't recommend it and I did get one eventually. I guess the downpipe and exhaust pipe provides some support; that 3b is no small turbo.

600, are you going with a 3b or 400. I think I've still got a couple 3b brackets around.