Subwoofer

Willy91

howdy folks,

I'm currently looking at adding a subwoofer to my truck. I don't have much experience with sound systems, but I know I only want to run one because of limites space behind my seat and I want to be able to still put some other stuff back there. I already have a 850 watt amp that I bought from a local here, in good working condition, and I have a 12" truck box. My question is what is a good brand sub? I'm trying to stay under $150 dollars. I've been looking on ebay at Alpine subs rated at 1500 watt max 500 RMS, and at a couple of kickers rated at 1500 max and 750 Rms and also a smaller shallow mount kicker rated at 800 max and 400 rms. What is your opinios on these subs? I already have upgraded my door and rear speakers. I mostly listen to country, on the very rare occasion some rock. Not into rap unless I would just have some to show off to all the ricers at highschool, who have those wanna be sound systems.

Thanks.

We have had really good luck with the Infinity subs. Shallow mounting depth, nice and tight for real music. Wattage ratings on amp output and speaker power handling are as misleading as anything else people try to sell. Of course their speaker can handle 1500 watts because thats how much power they say their 300watt...oops sorry I mean their 1500watt amp makes. Wattage claims and speaker handling shouldnt really effect what you buy. What amp are you running it with.?

look for a sub to put under your center console. Also look at the sensitivity and the frequency response of the sub.

For the music you listen too I would run 2 8" woofers in a sealed box. I used to have 2 Rockford HE2s and it sounded awesome running it with a RF 500.1

I just installed a new Pioneer 10 inch flat sub in one of thier boxes made for it ,,, fit great in a regular cab dodge ram ..

I took the snap in pockets out of the driver side and dropped the box into the tray ,, had lots of room behind the seat ..

I sold the box and sub for under 200 bucks ..

i had a kenwood sub in my last truck and i loved it. the thing sounded great if you want i still have another one that is brand new never installed it is a ten inch with a 700 watt handling capacity i would be willing to let go for pretty cheap..

I would imagine the amp is 4 ohms.. But as far as the sub goes i don't think you will be dissapointed at all.. Unless you are REALLY into your stereo systems and really know your stuff.. Most of us won't be able to tell the difference in similar price ranges.. I just installed 4 10" Audiobahns under my rear seat.. Sounds good. Only have 175 watts RMS to each sub at 2 ohms. I had a second amp just in case, but it wasn't needed after I hooked everything up. Alpine is a good brand all around :Cheer:

I deffinently don't know my stuff so I should be alright.:hehe: And I'm not one who has the radio always blaring, I just want it to sound good and on occasion maybe crank her up.

I'm looking to stuff 2- 12" P3's and 2- 10" P3's in a regular cab......

I think it'd be a piece of cake, those things have a ton of room in them (especially if you're short like me).. He just said he still wanted room to throw crap back there whenever he needed to.

Ok I got the amp today, it's actually a 850 wat kenwood 4 channel bridgable amp. So now here's my question, since I'm only going to be running this sub with the amp would it be worth it for me to bridge the 4 channels into 2 for my sub? Or should I just run it normally with only 2 channels.

Run the 4 channel amp to power some nicer door speakers. Find a mono block amp for the sub. With the sound of a cummins a 4-channel amp for the door speakers is almost a must. If you dont want the 4-channel one I would trade it for a 2-channel amp that would be more suitable to power a sub of a pair of them.

Like halo stated. Id get a mono for that. I used to be big into the stereos. Compete in competitions and stuff. When i had a half a truck (frontier). You can find a decent 500 watt d class amp on ebay for cheap. In stereos, the old saying pretty much applies. You get what you pay for. Brands like Alpine, Kicker, Fosgate, and such are pretty reliable in a everyday vehicle. Im running 1 Kicker Solobaric L7 12, in my truck, with a Alpine v12 5 channel amp. It has 1 channel mono. Specifically for subwoofer. Running that kenwood for the sub is pretty much wasting it. That amp isnt gonna run that sub very well, no matter what you run it at. Id find a decent 2 ohm d class amp and go with that. You can make 1 sub sound great. This is a link to my old truck.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/300534

alright thanks for the advice on the amp, I'll look into what I can do. Now I've got another question. I measured the box I got with the amp and it's not deep enough for the sub. For those of you with regular cabs and subs, how did you mount them? It'd be okay if it was a shallow mount but this alpine is like 7 and 3/4 deep. I thought about maybe mounting it facing straight up behind the center consel? I think it'd sit low enogh the the consle would clear it.