Suggestions on stall speed for snow plowing

Mountainman234

HillBilly
I have a 91' I use around the yard to plow with and play with in the summer. I am rebuilding the trans while its out to change the rear main seal and was thinking about a lower stall converter. I don't know what the stock stall is, so its hard to decide what would be best. Suggestions?

2200 is stock.... depending upon the setup.. I personally wouldn't go below 1900. As the stock turbo completely sucks in low rpm.

Not that you'll be using all that much boost plowing snow.

I love my 89h dtt convertor. Dont know the stall speed but it is lower than stock. When i used to use itto plow i would lock it n 4low and let it idle. Temps never got over 150 in the hot line.

There is too little flow in reverse under 500 rpm below stock for plowing at light throttle conditions, unless a 48re pump is used.

Last edited:
Are u referring to 500 rpm motor speed or 500 below stock stall speed. I dont idle in reverse nor do i plow n reverse. Never jad an issue with mine. Plowed with it for 6 yrs. 2 of which were comercial n the city. It is now my backup mainly bc i was tired of the salt and strain plowing puts on a vehicle. Tough to see them rot away

He told me not to go any lower than 500 rpm from the stock stall speed on the converter, because the pump doesn't flow enough in reverse when you are just idling around, which will be the case with a stall that low.

If you bring the rpms up then there is enough flow, as u know plowing inherently has a lot of reversing.

Last edited:
Mines an 1800 stall, haven't plowed with this converter yet, maybe next week but I have never just idled backwards lol.