Supercharger system

01cumminsjunkie

Okay so I'm just spitballing here I don't have a race truck but I do tow allot and what kills me is loss of boost during shift and I've been itching to try a supercharger add on, my trucks an 01 6spd and I've been thinking I don't want to run them in series Im leaning towards splitting them 2 ICs and intakes and a y-pipe into the intake manifold just not sure if it's possible for me to reverse spin the turbo if the super kicks in before the turbo and feeds backwards, does anybody have experience with this kinda system I'd really like to get some insight here before I go and blow something up my supercharger would most likely me the eaton fuller m90 and turbo would be somewhere around a 66mm or a bit bigger. Keep in mind This is just me spitballing and fishing at the moment

There's a guy on here that's had a couple setups like this. Search for him and pick his brain. You wouldn't be the first.

Also, I know some guys love manuals for towing, but a built auto could be a different solution.

Or a cam and spool valve to help recover boost quicker.

If I hadn't just completely rebuilt my drivetrain 4k miles ago I might consider going auto and thanks for the lead I'll see if I can't pick his brain a bit

Why does the loss of boost kill you so bad?

I've towed many miles very heavy with 5 and 6 speed Dodges, and that's the best towing setup there is.

First thing, is you can't have a big turbo and expect it to tow like the factory turbo.

That being said, you have to series the chargers, and have a bypass around the Supercharger....otherwise, you run out of air too fast.
Chris

Because I haul hay and equipment thru the ks flint hills and I'm still running the stocker at the moment had an he351 vgt on and didn't help as much as I thought so I set that to the side for the time being I partially just wanna see if this is possible and give it a try i can get by they way I am but I'm always lookin for a better alternative

If you wad the stock charger and that doesn't tow well enough for you I may have bad news for you.

But if you want to supercharge, get in touch with TURBOLVR.

If you want to build EVERYTHING yourself, find an Eaton M112...and keep your turbo under 63mm if you want to tow through the hills.

How much weight are we talking here?
Chris

Anywhere from 2-300 square bales averaging 70lbs or a skid loader and multiple attachments or cattle trailers and yeah that's what I'm looking at now I talked to him briefly and am gonna give it a whirl

Okay so I'm just spitballing here I don't have a race truck but I do tow allot and what kills me is loss of boost during shift and I've been itching to try a supercharger add on, my trucks an 01 6spd and I've been thinking I don't want to run them in series Im leaning towards splitting them 2 ICs and intakes and a y-pipe into the intake manifold just not sure if it's possible for me to reverse spin the turbo if the super kicks in before the turbo and feeds backwards, does anybody have experience with this kinda system I'd really like to get some insight here before I go and blow something up my supercharger would most likely me the eaton fuller m90 and turbo would be somewhere around a 66mm or a bit bigger. Keep in mind This is just me spitballing and fishing at the moment

http://www.crazycarlsturbos.com/Superchargers_c10.htm

You sure you don't have a boost leak or something else? I find it difficult to believe that a stock turbo lags so bad that you can't recover boost quick enough towing.

You sure you don't have a boost leak or something else? I find it difficult to believe that a stock turbo lags so bad that you can't recover boost quick enough towing.

x2

With a heavy load the boost should come on extremely quick on a stock turbo.

Exactly. The only turbo I've ever ran even close to stock was a 58ET/68/12. 400hp and COOL with spool.

This was towing at weights up to 50K gross with a 95 12v.

Have fun with the supercharger!!!! I haven't tried any yet, but I have mocked a few up. Just never got around to them
Chris

It's not the end of the world kinda lag just frustrating trying to get through allot of the hills on the slower narrower roads and like I said I've been itching to give this a shot, so it is the best of both worlds and no boost leak new IC boots and clamps in the last 3000 miles

I've been running a 62/71/12 turbo for 3-4 years now. I tow with it regularly, not quite as heavy as you but still heavy. It spools crazy fast and tows like a dream in our southern Ohio hills. Yes its slow to spool when shifting up on hills but I avoid that by planning ahead. Downshifting is no big deal.

It's not the end of the world kinda lag just frustrating trying to get through allot of the hills on the slower narrower roads and like I said I've been itching to give this a shot, so it is the best of both worlds and no boost leak new IC boots and clamps in the last 3000 miles

Try doing it with an NV4500 over the rockies. Talk about sucking wind with a 3 to 4 gear split so wide your fattest momma joke would fit with room to spare.

i hauled this up in the hills on a 64 mm turbo with little problems. just have to wind it up a little more before you change gears. Good tuning makes the biggest difference.

20140519_160908_zpsb4o6fivb.jpg

no boost leak new IC boots and clamps in the last 3000 miles

Just because you have new parts doesn't mean you don't have a boost leak yet. Gotta pressure check it. And I used to tow all the time with my 64mm on a 12 valve. Shift at 3200rpm and it would light just fine.

Back