Surging while cruising on highway

Dirtleg

This past week my wife used my truck to pull a couple of cows back to the farm. I had forgotten to swap out my tune before she left so I called her and had her do it before she returned. Our trailer was already there so she wasn't pulling it with the wrong tune in it. I had her put in a Spartan heavy tow tune.

Now I know it's gotten much colder, hence the air is denser, but it seems my boost is significantly higher at light throttle positiions than prior to her trip. I also noticed an unpleasant surging while going down the road. My thoughts are that the unison ring might not be returning all the way open under light throttle and that I'm getting compressor surge. I typically drive 80 miles a day so I don't think I'd have the rust issues on the unison ring but possibly carbon buildup.

At first I thought the surging might be injectors but it started up fine yesterday at 16*F (-9*C) not plugged in. Brand new fuel filters and syn rotella 2 weeks ago.

Any thoughts on what I might be overlooking. I am not losing coolant nor pressurizing the degas bottle excessively.

Truck is at 97.5k so I'd like to catch the tail end of warranty if there's a problem. I've had no problems to date.

Sorry for the delayed response been working like a dog the last few weeks. EBP sensor and tube externally look perfect. Internally is anyones guess as I have been too busy to do any investigating. Things will slow down soon and I'll try to check then.

I switched the tune back to stock and it seems to have gone away for now. Is there a chance the tow tune would do that without a load on it? Or am I just catching a glimpse of a potential problem on it's way.

Thanks for the replies.

Did you get these from the "library" of tunes? I had some major issues with the free spartan tunes myself...

Try another tune, its quick and easy.

Yes they are from the "library". I need to get one of Erics' tunes but just haven't followed through on that thought.

Just got back (less than an hour ago) from an 1100 mile trip to Atlanta and back. Truck drove perfectly and averaged 19 mpg. Probably just a tune issue although I have used that tune to pull my horse trailer and gooseneck without any problems before.

With my regular job pushing 64 hours (7 days)a week and my side work requiring regular trips to Atlanta I really don't have time to do much more than drive it right now.

As I get time to check things out I'll post my findings. Going to open up the EGR valve and check the EBP tube and sensor.

Another question a little off topic but since I'm already here; It is well known that the intake manifold gets plugged up with carbon deposits. My question is what do you think of immersing it in a heated ultasonic parts washer for a few days. I just acquired one in an equipment/parts trade and was thinking it might be just the thing to clean an intake manifold out.

Thoughts?

Yes they are from the "library". I need to get one of Erics' tunes but just haven't followed through on that thought.

Just got back (less than an hour ago) from an 1100 mile trip to Atlanta and back. Truck drove perfectly and averaged 19 mpg. Probably just a tune issue although I have used that tune to pull my horse trailer and gooseneck without any problems before.

With my regular job pushing 64 hours (7 days)a week and my side work requiring regular trips to Atlanta I really don't have time to do much more than drive it right now.

As I get time to check things out I'll post my findings. Going to open up the EGR valve and check the EBP tube and sensor.

Another question a little off topic but since I'm already here; It is well known that the intake manifold gets plugged up with carbon deposits. My question is what do you think of immersing it in a heated ultasonic parts washer for a few days. I just acquired one in an equipment/parts trade and was thinking it might be just the thing to clean an intake manifold out.

Thoughts?

Definitely try another tune. I had some complications with those free spartan tunes. They even corrupted my Innovative tunes I had loaded on the SCT at the time. I had to put the truck back to stock, erase all of the tunes off of my SCT and then re-load just innovative tunes back on... problems all went away.

Cleaning the Intake manifold isn't a bad idea, but I wouldn't go through the trouble unless you've already got it off for another reason...

Back