Swap tips!!

NEsmoker

Im gonna start my tear down this week prolly, i think i have everything i need mines inj lines and oil line fitting. But the pump still has to be benched. Are there any special tools needed besides for timing the engine? Any special pullers or such when swaping timing covers, or just the normal pump gear puller? For the cam what size pvc pipe do you use? I remember seeing people talk about zip ties to hold the tappets up but cant find it again. Anyone have anymore details on the tappets?

The old 24v tps (big black box) can be completely removed and i can just use the little 12v one on the pump right?

To hold up the tappets use 1/2" wooden dowels with a beveled end. Then you can pull them up two at a time and ziptie the two together in the raised position. You can use a 12v TPS and a 12v plug spliced onto your harness.

the dowels are really easy to use. make sure you make the ends a little big and then cut a slot in the end. that way you get a tight fit in the lifter. i had the cam kit from cummins but you could easily make your own. swap really isnt too bad.

I use the big magnets from Orielys. They are 1.99ea so for $24 you have a really nice set of holders, and alot of spare magnets. They fit snug in the rod holes in the head and are way faster than any of the other methods I have tried.

The magnet trick sounds good. I cant picture it untill i see them, but do they only come up so far and that it(cant be removed from top). I never been to a cam pulling yet so i dont know much there.

I use the big magnets from Orielys. They are 1.99ea so for $24 you have a really nice set of holders, and alot of spare magnets. They fit snug in the rod holes in the head and are way faster than any of the other methods I have tried.

Do you by chance know the model # you used?

Thanks Matt

Make sure the dowels are FIRMLY seated or you'll end up like me and have to jack the engine up and drop the oil pan to pull the tappet out.

Make sure the dowels are FIRMLY seated or you'll end up like me and have to jack the engine up and drop the oil pan to pull the tappet out.

I dont feel like doin that, so im stickin a piece of plastic pipe in right away. I was thinking of pulling the motor but i really dont have the budget this year with other projects and slow work. Ill have the head off this week so well see how the pistons look, it was shooting sparks out the exhaust one night.

I dont feel like doin that, so im stickin a piece of plastic pipe in right away. I was thinking of pulling the motor but i really dont have the budget this year with other projects and slow work. Ill have the head off this week so well see how the pistons look, it was shooting sparks out the exhaust one night.

Can't put the plastic pipe in until the cam comes out, and thats probably when they will fall. Murphy's Law.

I did the dowel method. The hose clamp method would be the way I would re-do it. Less risk. And the pump is out of the way already, its only 5 more bolts.

I tried hose clamps. Couldn't get them to work. So I used dowels. Dowels worked fine when I did my cam swap. Just didn't have one seated in there solidly enough. The rest of em I had to use a pair of channel locks to pull out em out.

Can't put the plastic pipe in until the cam comes out, and thats probably when they will fall. Murphy's Law.

I did the dowel method. The hose clamp method would be the way I would re-do it. Less risk. And the pump is out of the way already, its only 5 more bolts.

I ment it as soon as its out the pipes goin in.
Thing i dont get is, why cant you just pull them out to begin with? Say one falls after the cam is out how do you put it back in?

Well if your lucky like I was you'll be able to push it back in through the bottom while you have the oil pan off. Otherwise you have to fish it back in and I'm told that's a PIA.

Say one falls after the cam is out how do you put it back in?

I took my lifters out to inspect them once. To put them back in I used string and duct tape. I cut the tape about an inch wide and rolled it so it was larger in diameter then the lifter hole. I then tied the tape plug to the string and dropped it down the pushrod hole, fished it out with wire and stuffed the tape plug into the lifter. I then pulled the lifter into place. This was done using pvc pipe of course.

Do you by chance know the model # you used?

Thanks Matt

I couldnt find it on Orielys site but these are pretty close to what I have in Craftsman. I bought mine from Orielys for 1.99each though.

The magnet idea sounds like a good one... I used the dowel method though and just saved the dowels incase I ever have to do it again though.

Back