swaping engines?

WHITE-NOISE

rollin coal, chasin hole
ok guys, im about to be replacing the engine in my 99, it has a rod knocking at only 125k miles. i found a complete good running virgin engine with 121k out of an 02, had a 5speed behind it, as well does mine. is there anything on the newer engines that im going to need to check or have to change to make this engine work in my 99. im getting this engine for a steal of a price, complete from turbo to starter, intercooler to flywheel i dont want to pass it up i just want to make sure of anything i may have to change to make it work. thanks alot!

98.5-00 have a different timing cover than the 01-02. The 98-00 use a crank sensor and a cam sensor. The crank has a tone ring on it and the cam gear has 1 notch cut into it for a signal. You will need an 01' ECM and wiring harness and then change the timing cover and cam gear for it to work right. The 01-02 use a cam sensor only and have a tone ring on the cam gear. The offset for the cam sensor is different in the 98-00' by about 3/8 of an inch. IIRC. I can be wrong but that's what I ran into swapping a 99' motor into my 01'.

the engine im looking at has the ecm and wireing harness with it, so i would still have to change the front cover?

yes, it will not pick up the signal from the "notch" cut into the cam gear, it has to have the tone ring. Might as well order a cam while your at it. :Cheer:

ok ive have a long day im lost lol :bang if im swaping complete motors with ecm and wireing, why do i need to change the cam gear and front cover.. shouldnt the ECM from the 02, pick up the signal??? or am i missing something here bare with me its been a bad week, i just put tranny number 4 in saterday and only got 4 days of driving out of the truck lol

sorry, no you should be good, if you got the ecm and wiring harness, just bolt it in.

awesome good deal:Cheer:...............anything else i may need to know about the year differences?

awesome good deal:Cheer:...............anything else i may need to know about the year differences?

The '02 engine doesn't give you a true oil pressure reading. It has an oil pressure "switch", not a "sensor". Basically it detects a minimal oil pressure and then the ECM has a lookup table with rpm on the y axis and coolant temp on the X axis. The ECM then sends the value from the table to the dash cluster. They probably saved at least $0.50 on that alone.:clap: But don't worry about it too much, every Dodge/Cummins from 2002 on is like that too.

I think you'll be ok with the 02 ECM vs the 99 PCM, but you might run into an issue or two there.

well wireing isnt a big deal for me, i dont like doing it but i can if it comes to it. i was planing on having to do some for this swap, just curious to know if there any major issues im going to run into doin this. thanks 4 the input tho

If you just keep the 02 wire harness on the engine with the 02 ECM, you should be fine. You can't wire in the oil pressure sensor to the 02 ECM, it won't work.

don't forget if you have an edge or anything that plugs in it wont work after the motor swap.

i have a quadzilla but ive got the adapters for the date link and map sensor for the newer harness.