Swapping gears but stumped

Leviathon

So truck is a 12 valve with a nv4500. I am swapping a ford leaf spring dana 60 underneath it to covert it to 4wd. I'm at the point now where i have to choose a gear set. The front is 4.10 and my rear dana 80 single wheel is 3.54. The plan is to run 37 goodyear mt or mtr. The smallest tire ever would be a 35. Which axle should get matched to the other?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I would go 4.10s with 37" tires but it's all preference. What kind of driving will you do more of? Highway or around town

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your setup will be a big deciding factor as well. Turbo size, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If my math is correct, you'd be at 1600 rpm at 60 mph with 3.54's on 37's. ~1850 with the 4.10's. The latter is the way I'd go for big tires. Below 35's, I'd probably stick with the 3.54's.

I will tell you I ran 37s with 373 gears and wished I had 410s especially in town.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 62fmw

My 95 with 40's and later 38's was just fine for me with 3.55. Nv4500. I like being able to hit od and cruise down the highway without being wrapped out though.

Thanks for the input guys. Currently the truck is stock besides a fuel plate. Only change i plan on is a 4k gsk, exhaust currently 3 inch straight, ajd MAYBE injectors if I'm crazy. The truck is mainly in town but if i need to pull its the one I'm using. Id say I'm on the highway maybe once or twice a week. With a monthly trip

Right now im on 33s and rocking 2200-2300 at 70-75mph

I'm running 37's with the 3.56:1 D60/D70 gearing on my 97. I like it, but 4.10's wouldn't be bad, and would save driveshafts and transmissions some work. I don't get the highway benefits I thought I would. I'm still only getting 16-17mpg.
4.10's would at least make it more peppy off the line and cut down on smoke.

Only issue is that i would need to get a new carrier for the dana 80 to go 4.10 lol

What he said do a search there were a couple of people looking for 354 gears and carriers while back.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 62fmw

I had a 99 Dually on 35's with a 4.10 D80 and swapped the carrier and r&p to a 3.54 in the 4.10 existing housing. I encounter ABS and computer headaches. Granted this was a VP truck with 4 wheel abs so you shouldn't have computer issues. BUT the placement in the housing for the abs or wheel speed sensor did not position the sensor directly above the abs tone ring with the new 3.54 carrier which I believe caused the abs issues. I assumed all of the D80 housings had the same location for the abs or wheel speed sensor. They may, but I had issues. The difference was roughly 3/8-1/2" offset from the sensor and abs tone ring. Hindsight, I would have just swapped the entire housing for one that came with a 3.54 gear. I think you will be much happier with the 4.10's on a 35"+ tire. If the truck is only a rear wheel abs truck, the housing may make no difference because there are not front wheel speed sensors to compare against the rear speed sensor. It is also much cheaper to swap rearends or buy a complete one than to buy new D80 carrier, R&P, AND have it set up.

Not to hijack but if anyone can confirm the 3.54 and 4.10 housings have the exact wheel speed or abs sensor location please advise. It will give me some insight on the quality of shop work that set up the rearend.

Sorry for the long post, just hope others don't go through that headache. I vote 4.10's.

I had a 99 Dually on 35's with a 4.10 D80 and swapped the carrier and r&p to a 3.54 in the 4.10 existing housing. I encounter ABS and computer headaches. Granted this was a VP truck with 4 wheel abs so you shouldn't have computer issues. BUT the placement in the housing for the abs or wheel speed sensor did not position the sensor directly above the abs tone ring with the new 3.54 carrier which I believe caused the abs issues. I assumed all of the D80 housings had the same location for the abs or wheel speed sensor. They may, but I had issues. The difference was roughly 3/8-1/2" offset from the sensor and abs tone ring. Hindsight, I would have just swapped the entire housing for one that came with a 3.54 gear. I think you will be much happier with the 4.10's on a 35"+ tire. If the truck is only a rear wheel abs truck, the housing may make no difference because there are not front wheel speed sensors to compare against the rear speed sensor. It is also much cheaper to swap rearends or buy a complete one than to buy new D80 carrier, R&P, AND have it set up.

Not to hijack but if anyone can confirm the 3.54 and 4.10 housings have the exact wheel speed or abs sensor location please advise. It will give me some insight on the quality of shop work that set up the rearend.

Sorry for the long post, just hope others don't go through that headache. I vote 4.10's.
No definitely a good piece of info to know bro. Hell I didn't even know about the different carriers until I researched it lol

I'm running 4.56's with 37 13.5 toyo's and love it, but I wheel a lot so getting the big meat's going in the wood's was more important, but the hiway performance was a lot better than I thought it would be, glad I went that way over the 4.10's. plus off the line it's faster and easier on drive line parts, I just switch o/d when I want it and still runs over 70 with out tacking to hi. towing has improved a lot over the 3.54 also.