Swapping heads

joni1013

Okay. Heres the deal. I have a 12v with a 215 pump with the 4 cylinders washed out. ( bought it like this cheap) So imma have to get it bored out and what not. Since im going to have the motor completely stripped down, could i get 24v piston and find a 24v head and all the lines an stuff to do the conversion, or is there more involved than i think. :thankyou2:

Its hard to round up all the little stuff. That's what kills you. A bare head is $400 or so. Plus whatever you can find injector hold downs, valves, valve springs, push rods, retainers, keepers, rockers, pedestals, bridges, valve cover w/ bolts, water neck, alternator bracket, valve cover gasket, head gasket (modified for the 24v steam holes), head studs/bolts, exhaust manifold, 24v upper radiator hose, run new heater hoses, and if you use a CR head youve gotta mill the side and buy or build an intake. I'm sure I'm forgetting something but that's most of it.

Plus for high rpm's the 24 valve head obviously has more moving parts so potentially more problems. A ported 12 valve head will be cheaper, easier, and you can make a lot of power with the 12 valve head. If your on any kind of a budget id leave well enough alone.

Ok, i have a 12v that was dropped in 2nd gear at 70mph. #1 slapped the head and tore it up. Bore looks fine, but will be checked. I also have an awesome running 24v, with a cracked 53 block. Could i use the 12v block and ppump stuff, with the 24v head, pistons and rods. I would have the necessary machine work done and put all new bearings, just wondering if its even possible. Are the cams different? Do i have to use the 12v injectors? I basically just want a stock 12v with the pump turned up a little, not a race monster motor.

have to use 24v injector pop off is different than 12v

cams are different
12v has the fuel pump lobe and smaller diameter lifter

24v has a little more lift

It will run with 24 valve injectors just better with the pop off reset for a p-pump, and as long as you have electric fuel the mechanical pump lobe doesn't matter anyway.

Back