swb 1500 or cut 3/4 ?

eastcoastfurry

I'm gettin ready to start a project, I don't know if I want to buy a dodge 1500 and convert it to a cummins or if I want to buy 3/4 and cut . If I buy a 1500 I'm goin to buy a 03-05 and put a 12valve in it, but if I buy a 3/4 I'm goin to buy a 03-04 and keep it a common rail, I would like some other opinions on this

you might as well get a 3/4 ton. its cheaper to cut than swapping a half ton. plus it has all the heavy parts ready for you.

whats the difference in wheelbase between a long bed and short bed???

Wide Open Performance in Sandy, UT did the shortbed conversion on my 2wd '05. What are you wanting to do with it? After my conversion, the rear sat REALLY high compared to the front. In order to get it leveled out, we got rid of some springs, but that put the bump stops pretty much on the axle.

If I were to do it again, I would do a small c-notch at the same time I chopped the frame down, to get sufficient axle travel.

Last edited:
I shortened my 05. Took out 20" starting at seam
under door. Took 2" from end of frame, If you want
to keep bumper,you will need to take that 2" at
seam above back tire.

I know your wanting a 3rd gen but Im looking to get rid of a 2nd gen. Already converted to a short bed with a roll cage. Ready for your motor, trans, and rear end of choice. I will give it to ya cheep.

Just figured I would throw that out there.

If you want to stay with the cr shorten one. I bought a 04 way cheap to put a 12v in. I'm wanting to go back to the simple life of no electronics. If you buy careful and look for the deals cost can be held down. I picked up a tranny free and have less than a thousand in a nice 04 that has been lowered.

im wanting to lower it just a lil, roll pan,decent set of wheels, built auto, head studs,oring, decent injectors small set of twins, and drive every now and then on the weekend, i really like the 3rd gen

im wanting to lower it just a lil, roll pan,decent set of wheels, built auto, head studs,oring, decent injectors small set of twins, and drive every now and then on the weekend, i really like the 3rd gen

I'm loving my shortbed! I also have a '05 quad cab longbed 4x4, but I've found myself wanting to drive the shortbed more than the other truck, even though the shortbed is a completely stock motor with 405,000 miles and the other truck is decked out with all the goodies. The shortbed is a REALLY fun truck to drive around.

I just finished doing a step-notch in my frame this afternoon.
securedownload-3-1.jpg

The 4-link setup and air shocks go on tomorrow, I'm excited! This notch is overboard and I'm not sure if it'll hold up to the abuse, but I figured try it out, before spending the money on a back half kit.

I would think a simple c-notch would let you get the truck level as well as give you good suspension clearance.
2-08-10.jpg

Not the pic lol. This is a 1500 with stock leaf springs with 11.5 aam axle. Its got 1 and half inch spacer so the bed sits a little higher. Its almost level now but if I take out the spacer it sits level.

IMG_20110923_205351.jpg

man that looks good, i have been lookin for both types of trucks and and really come up with anything yet, if any body has any suggestions give me a shout

The one I bought has drop spindles in front and the rear axle above the springs. It may set a hair to low for me. The front tires have hit the plastic inner fenders from time to time.