Switching to a single: advice

Headcase98002

First off my fueling is t the greatest as some would say. I have a P24v with a 848 190hp School Bus p-pump. It has .024" delivery valves(bigue24), 4,000rpm governor springs, 2095 rack plug, .078" fuel lines, stock tubes, feeding Weston's 6x.013 set at 300bar(pretty sure they are cylindrical blind hole SAC). Timing is somewhere around the low 20's (set to 23). FASS 220 1/2 lines with dual feed. FirePunk Trans with 150rpm lower stall speed.

I am looking towards going to a single if and when my compounds sell. I'm running a 62/65/70 over a HT3B/26 and pushing 80psi with 26psi primary boost and I see 14-1500* max @ 120mph. I am wanting to be in the 600 + hp range and still be in a budget. Already talked to one person and he gave me some good prices, but I was thinking about running an s400 charger with a steed manifold, but I ran across a couple cheap chargers from a few websites and heard some talk about a 66/73/12 that ran good on the street. I have both a .80 and a .70 housing in my garage. Hoping to lower boost around 55psi max.

I loved my 66/74/14 on my 12v. But it was non-gated and I have to much fuel to keep it in the safe range so I traded it off for the 72 I have now. My 66 spooled quickly I thought but, I also have a 188/220 Hami cam. I am a firm believer now that cams help A LOT with spool.

I've got a buddy who is around 600hp in his 12v with an E.D s366 and runs 8.0 in the 1/8th.. 5 speed

So after talking to a few people they think its best I run a 64/71/14. And I may run a Stainless Diesel exhaust manifold due to availability. It seems like there is a month wait on them and I don't want to wait have the truck down that long. Also after some searching I found there is some different versions of the 64mm compressor wheel.

75lb/min
64/86 and the tips measure 91mm

80lb/min
64/91 and the tips measure 96mm

Any ideas on this? This is my grocery getter, but sees WOT quite often.

Did I post this in the wrong section?

So after talking to a few people they think its best I run a 64/71/14. And I may run a Stainless Diesel exhaust manifold due to availability. It seems like there is a month wait on them and I don't want to wait have the truck down that long. Also after some searching I found there is some different versions of the 64mm compressor wheel.

75lb/min
64/86 and the tips measure 91mm

80lb/min
64/91 and the tips measure 96mm

Any ideas on this? This is my grocery getter, but sees WOT quite often.

Did I post this in the wrong section?

I ran a 64mm BD Super B Special which BD says flows 80lbs. It was a great turbo, loved it on the streets, I could tow heavy no problem if I kept the rpms up. I did just under 600hp with a VP44 on it, and never got the chance to dyno it with the p pump, but overall great turbo! My p pump set up was similar to yours at the time I ran that turbo, but I ran a 7 hole SAC injector and about 26* timing.

I have the turbo for sale if your interested

I still have t sold my compounds, but I'm going new. I can get everything for a great price, since I have spare turbine housings. I appreciate all the input though.

I'm trying to get my friend to let me borrow his 2.5" legal s464 with a .90 housing. Or just drive his truck, but his fueling is a little more severe.

Well, despite all the good advice, I decided to go with a s464/83/.90 since I can get it for a very good price. So far I think everything is sold and I should go pick up the new turbo by the middle of next week. I wanted to go with a steed or stainless T4 manifold, but they both seem to be on back order, so I'll save $230 and use a ATS manifold.

Can you guys post pictures of your intake set-up for a 5" standard cover and retain the passenger side battery?

Financial reasons. i like to play around, but at 85psi boost I don't have a funds to fix a head gasket if it blows. Of I could lower pressure I would be a happy camper. Just can't figure out what charger to get. Definitely s400 based.

I'm in the same boat. I could easily build a set of towing twins for cheap. I work in a fab shop and run a CNC plasma table but I don't want to run that high of boost either. Just worried a single won't spool well with 3.54's, 35's, and an auto. I get what your saying though.

I'm running 32" tire, 3:55's and an auto, and I could still get under the twins cruising at 50@1300rpm.

Still haven't picked out a size. I have plans to go tomorrow and pick up a S464, but I'll talk to mark and see what he recommends. What do you guys think?

I'm in the same boat. I could easily build a set of towing twins for cheap. I work in a fab shop and run a CNC plasma table but I don't want to run that high of boost either. Just worried a single won't spool well with 3.54's, 35's, and an auto. I get what your saying though.

Spool isn't bad. Towing isn't fun though.

Your running @85psi casey ? damn .... was this after the p7100 conversion ?

What did carl say ?

Yes, I haven't ran a box with the VP for 6 months and saw 52psi, but one I installed the p pump, it seen 80psi. I really didn't talk to Carl, I could have loosened up the gate on the 62 and installed the 14 housing, but its time for a change. Couldn't afford two more 62,s for triples and wanted to try a S400. Like I said Future Plans. Carl will be contacted when the time comes. Picked my my s464 today and gasket matched the turbine housing.

I would go with a 64/71. I had a 160 pump with 191s 6x012s. I dd with 30* and it made mid 600s and ran a 11.9. I really liked that set up and I towed 7k and dd with no problems.

Sorry guys I should have stated. I picked up a s400(63.5/83(74)/.90) today. Waiting on manifold to install. Thanks for the info,

Can anyone post pics of thier intake? I want to keep my passenger side battery. I like the new AFE Stage 2 si intake, but will it clear the S400? I know the S&B will fit, I saw a picture of 2141Pete's set-up.

Got it all back together and took it to town. It spools really good, but it a little warmer than what I'm used too. I'll drive it some more and post back my results.

whats your temps look like? hobie yours as well as we will have have darn near the same trucks! lol

Back