Switching to Duramax

Powerstrokeguy

I decided to sell my powerstroke, when I do I want to buy a duramax. I have stacks on my powerstroke and would like to put them on my next truck can anyone tell me if the y pipe from my powerstroke will work for a duramax. Also Im trying to figure out what type of chip to go with I like what I read about the Banks PDA and all of its functions, does anyone know if you can get custom tunes put on it? Or maybe there is somthing better, I plan on going with a bigger turbo, injectors and so on. Thanks for your help.

EFI live is in a whole different ball game that what you are used to. I take it you currently have an SCT? EFI live is a hard program, but the tuner has total control of the vehicle. Everything can be tweaked.

I would suggest having someone like McRat program it for you. I'm in the process of a big engine build up and all I have to say is WOW. He knows what he is doing. But then again, look at what he does on the truck.

Sorry to see you switch over.

If the Stack kit was a grand Rock Kit, I say yes for sure...

Worst case scenario you will need a 3.5" x 4" adapter under the truck to mate to the 4" system you mighta had. This depends on model year you jump into and whether or not you put / had aftermarket exhaust on.

Secondly, if you wanna Rock out with the Dmax I reccomend the PPE downloader. Great place to start unless you think your heading for the "FDmaxList" soon, then I got other ideas.

how about a PPE Hot +2 and a built tranny and a good lift pump, exhaust, intake and gauges?

Hey Guy's I have been thinking about this kind of thing also but I have a differant question. What kind of Durability does the Duro Alis. have? I mean when I think about a used Cummins I don't let it faze me if the truck has a 150k. What about the G.M combo? Does it have the long term weaties?? Would you guy's think twice about the secoun hand duro? How much does it cost to upgrade say an early Duro Alis. combo to make say 550 to 600 HP reliably. Sorry I didn't mean to steal your post Powerstroke I just had to ask....

Yep, you can use your powerjoke i mean stroke :D stacks on a dmax. I would go with ppe or bullydog if i were you.

Schoust said:
Hey Guy's I have been thinking about this kind of thing also but I have a differant question. What kind of Durability does the Duro Alis. have? I mean when I think about a used Cummins I don't let it faze me if the truck has a 150k. What about the G.M combo? Does it have the long term weaties?? Would you guy's think twice about the secoun hand duro? How much does it cost to upgrade say an early Duro Alis. combo to make say 550 to 600 HP reliably. Sorry I didn't mean to steal your post Powerstroke I just had to ask....

the 1st gen (LB7) main prob was/is injector 01-04 are covered in a 7/200k warantee.

lly had over heating and egr prob

the lbz dont have any that i have heard off

as for durability 450-500k is no problem for the drive train most dont keep their truck till 200k something about wantting a new truck. after 5 years

the stock cp3 is good for ~500 sololy on #2. to get that reliabley tranny, guages, lift pump and a efi tune or PPE hot +2

after that you are looking at dual cp3, studs, rods pistons............

stock head bolts will take 45-50psi before they lift

The two best choices for the DMax are PPE and EFI, hands down. Nothing else matters as far as tuning. You gotta build the Allison though. I think much over 400 or so it goes into limp mode. And from what Ive read, its not so much the power that breaks them (it does when you get up there) but its the electronic controls of the tranny that break it. Just need to be aware of that and address it...

X2 on PPE being that you can have a mild or race tune with nothing more than a click of the finger whereas if you would go with EFI Live it is much more difficult as someone has already said it has the capability to control everything your truck does! Ill just say it like it is.... the bigger tune you get the more tranny and fuel you will need to make that tune "true" in a sense. So what I am saying is as everybody knows all of the big power mods all act in a chain reaction... your stock internals can only hold so much power. So if you don't want to do much to your truck just get a PPE tuner an put it on like the 90 horse setting, and intake, and exhaust and call it good!!

Port

[QUOTE='strokeThis_'07]The two best choices for the DMax are PPE and EFI, hands down. Nothing else matters as far as tuning. You gotta build the Allison though. I think much over 400 or so it goes into limp mode. And from what Ive read, its not so much the power that breaks them (it does when you get up there) but its the electronic controls of the tranny that break it. Just need to be aware of that and address it...[/QUOTE]
nothing really breaks.... the electronics sense excesive clutch slipage and throw the tranny into a limp mode to protect itself from anything more than brunt clutched gettin damaged

im switching to dmax also i was just wondering were is the best or cheapest place to get efi live and how many tunes can you get

oh yeah... welecome to the world of actual horsepower, torque aint to shabby either. congrats.