Switching to Synthetic Oil

riggz

Night Train
So i've got about 15k on the rebuilt motor and want to switch to synthetic. I can't seem to find anyone who sells the Valvoline Premium / Extreme Blue 5w40. The only place online is Midway for $32.99 a gal. Anyone know of another seller?

NAPA sells its..you just need the part number..most of the time they will tell you they dont sell it..

32.99 isnt too bad..dont remeber how much it was at NAPA.

NAPA sells its..you just need the part number..most of the time they will tell you they dont sell it..

32.99 isnt too bad..dont remeber how much it was at NAPA.

Hmm I called one NAPA and visited another and both told me they didn't have it. Where can I find the part #?

That stuff must be liquid gold!

I run Schaeffer's in my truck. It's around $17/gal.

Thx for the part #. Called one and they only had 2 gal. So I had em search nearby locations and found one that has 4 gal. that I can stop by on my way to work in the morning. $25.69 on the dot.

I have been happy with it so far, though I filled my trans with their ATF and now it's leaking from the pan seal, connectors and dipstick tube :hehe:

$17 a gal and they do free oil samples, so it's worth it.

Just changed the oil. I noticed after I was done that the jugs didn't state CJ-4. Only CI-4 plus. I did notice a pretty significant decrease in engine noise. Got a sample of the old dino oil to send in to Blackstone.

If you cannot find that stuff, NAPA carries Royal Purple.

That's all I use and recommend.

What do you have against Mobil 1's 5W40? I've been running that for the last 20K and haven't had a burp yet...

Probably shouldn't have worded it that way. No complaints with M1.

Just to update this, I wrote Valvoline about the CJ-4 rating. They stated that I probably just got some older containers. They stated their oil is the same as before the CJ-4 rating was put on the label.

The older bottles did still say CI-4+ on them. CJ-4 was called for in the 6.4L. The extreme blue runs very well in our trucks. And tend to have the lowest ammount of problems when it came to oil quality issues taking out injectors. The biggest offender was Rotella.

Glad to hear it. I'll post up my OA from Blackstone on the next oil change.

Glad to hear it. I'll post up my OA from Blackstone on the next oil change.

When you get the results back. If you have a higher than acceptable silicon level please post what type of air filtration you are using. There had been some blackstone reports floating around and people with the AFE stage 2 had some higher dirt than normal. While you would think trucks with non modded CCVs that the dirt would have been collected in the intercooler or intake with the level of oil they tend to build up.

Interesting, I'm using a AFE stage 1 (I think. was on the truck when I bought it.) And I just did the CCV mod.

It has it's own AFE metal housing for the filter, but mates up to the stock intake tube (that has the filter minder & the MAF sensor).

That's what I figured. I'd like to replace it with an oil-less filter. Is it worth upgrading to the stage 2 with pro dry?

Back