T3/T4 Gaskets that DON'T MELT?

Bobcat698

Pure Diesel Power
What are you guys using for turbo to manifold gaskets?

The cheap tin chintzy ones that usually come with some turbos etc simply aren't holding up.
I tried some copper gaskets from SCE and the T3 gasket is still holding up, but the T4 gasket melted out.

I use 4 layer gaskets from the exhaust manifold to the head with good results, but haven't seen them for turbo to manifold (t3 or t4) applications.

I've been coating the gaskets and bolts with anti-seize and getting good results. I have no idea why it works. One theory is that the antiseize acts the same way moly-lube does on head bolts/studs and allows for better fastener torque.

Never had a problem with any turbo gaskets...even at 1800*+

I'd check and make sure your flanges surfaces are true/flat!

Chris

the flanges surfaces are true and flat, they just seem to blow out after time. As for the copper ones, we were having problems with only the t3, replaced with copper, now it's ok. never had troble with the t4 till we put copper in, might have been the bolts got loose or some thing. all i now is that i have gotten really good at changing them.

Are you using some sort of lock nut?? I typically use either a flange nut, or a locking flange nut. Lock washers would probably work too, but I prefer the bigger area the flange nut puts on the cast parts!

Honestly, I've never had to change a gaskets because of a failure, even after reusing them multiple times.
Chris

I just thought of something. On Lavon's truck we hung twins off the side with no support. That truck went through gaskets about every month until the twins were supported. After they were held in there, no more gasket troubles. How's your 'Large Single' supported?

joefarmer said:
I just thought of something. On Lavon's truck we hung twins off the side with no support. That truck went through gaskets about every month until the twins were supported. After they were held in there, no more gasket troubles. How's your 'Large Single' supported?

Didn't I give him the bracket for the B2??

Chris

i burnt the bottom of a gasket on my twin setup, when i replaced it i found a little bur on the flange which i guess caused a weak spot. my bottom charger isnt supported and has been fine since april.