Tach Wiring, Help Needed

DieselDreamerDM

Stewart Warner STW-114906 Ultra shift light, im trying to get this wired on to my 12v. Was planning on using my stock speed sensor that is on the harmonic balancer, this didn't work. Then i came here and searched for answers on how to rig this to make it work.
Didn't find a clear solution and i don't have time to do much, need to have this working for a points hook friday night.
All Help is greatly appreciated, think i found that something not compadible because of a 5volt signal that needs to be a 12v signal?????
Thanks Again for the Help

Any way to wire up something for one hook since i got one day??? jw

Correct, the problem is that the sensor is 5v signal and the gauge needs 12 volt???

There is no way to wire it with out the converter box. Those tachs are made for gas applications they pick up off of a 4 or 8 cylinder pulse. You can wire it off the alternator but still need the converter to pick it up. if you had a powerstroke you could find the wire that feeds the tach in the dash and hook it up and your new tach would work but not so easy on a cummins. We tried to wire on to a 24v and it still won't work with out the converter box

Great, Thanks for the info, this gauge is pretty adjustable
PPR 1,1.5,2,2.5,3,4,5,6
it claim it can pick up 5v signal but still didn't work, i got an electrical engineer that might be able to rig something for tonight, anybody have details on what this converter box does? EEP didn't answer this morning

You might try to pick up i think its the B+ terminal on the altenator and see if that works stewart warner had a tach for diesels that required you to use this terminal to read rpms worth a shot.I had one on my dodge

I meant to ask you what you did. But for the other guys I have ran this same tach on my P pump 24v With nothing more than taping the sensor wire.
As the OP said they will read ppr. .5,1,1.5,2,2.5,3,4,5,6