Tappet Question

AJenson

Diesel Mechanic
Looking into a set of 110# springs for my 03. I was wondering if there would be any issues with the extra load on the stock tappets??? Thanks.

Austin

Not at all they will work great. The 110# springs work gret with stock and most performance cams as long as the lobe width is similar to stock. and the lift is not way over .300" at the lobe. If you have a radical cam then we have other springs that we could point you towards.

Zach

Not at all they will work great. The 110# springs work gret with stock and most performance cams as long as the lobe width is similar to stock. and the lift is not way over .300" at the lobe. If you have a radical cam then we have other springs that we could point you towards.

Zach

Sweet. Glad to hear this. I used to work in an engine rebuild shop and while I was there, I replaced 3 cams in QSC's due to flattened cams and bad tappets. Am I right to also assume that your 181/210 would suit my build???

i broke a tappet....stock cam, springs were 134 lbs on seat.. ruined my cam to.

I have seen engines run with 180Lbers on the seat with no tappet failure. Typically high lash settings can contribute to broken tappets. I think implying seat pressure directly caused a tappet to break is jumping to conclusions a bit. Do you have any pictures of the tappet or the cam that could help diagnose the problem? Also was the tappet worn or fractured?

Zach

had'nt hit 4K rpm with the engine....and yea ill get pics tomorrow, idk if it was fractured, it broke the bottom base off it and when i pulled the pan i found a bunch of pieces, ill post pics tomorrow.