Tappets for use with Big stick cam?

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
I read on Peak Diesel site for the hamiltons/colt cams big stick cam you need upgraded or new tappets? is this true?

Do i just need new stock tappets, or are there some aftermarket tappets available for use with the cam?

I read on Peak Diesel site for the hamiltons/colt cams big stick cam you need upgraded or new tappets? is this true?

Do i just need new stock tappets, or are there some aftermarket tappets available for use with the cam?

Don at F1 recommended that I use new tappets with my cam...He sells processed tappets for this purporse.....

Recommended for any cam swap, Just hard to get to while in the truck....I was lucky to have my engine out!!!

I used CR tappets with both my Helix 2 installs...Don't know if that would apply to the Hamilton stuff or not.

They have a bigger face diameter
Chris

ill have my tappet cover off to put my billet cover on so i can easily replace them...just need to know what to buy

just found this in regards to CR tappets-

98.5-02 Dodge 24 Valve Cummins: These can be used with no modifications to the engine (cannot be used with a cam that has a fuel pump lobe)

Guess i need to find out if the big stick cam has the fuel pump lobe

just wanted to say thanks to zach for hooking me up yesterday with some info and i ordered some top secret parts from him :D

I built mine with CR Tappets, and their fun to install while the engine is in the truck.

It is always best to replace them if you want to be safe. Typically if the truck has less than 80,000 miles you should be fine. If over that you can either replace them, or send them to Geoff and let him reface them. If you are in doubt look up the cummins spec and just do an inspection to make sure there are no pits or galling. For all of the 12v and 24v engines I use 24v tappets in my builds. Some CR tappets have interference with the fuel pump eccentric when used in 12v blocks. They typically clear when used in 24v and cr blocks. BTW if in doubt, look into the fuel pump hole and do a visual inspection.

Zach

What is the easiest way replace the tapets with the motor in the truck?

Last edited: