TDI starts hard when above freezing

DodgeDude55

Over the winter I bought myself a 99 golf tdi that needed a clutch. It started up great the few times i started it before putting it in the shop. After the clutch install it was hard starting to drive it out of the shop. So it spent the winter outside and always started up great. Now as it warms up it hard to when it is above around freezing out side. It can be a cold morning and will start fine but wont start for s**t in the afternoon when its warmer. I thought maybe a temp sensor but I plugged in my scanner and both coolant temp and intake air temp were reading correctly. Any ideas what it could be?

Mines does the same thing from say 32-45ish degrees and its has todo with the amount of glow plug on time. IF you have access to vac-com you can go in and change this number to leave the GP on longer.

It even does this when its 60-65 degrees(thats as warm as its been so far) and i would think that would be warm enough to not need glow. I have to crank it over several times before it starts and smokes quit a bit of white but once it starts it runs fine.

Gonna keep my eye on this one. Same issues, except mine starts harder the colder it is.

My glow plugs were all good a few thousand miles ago and the GP harness was replaced.

Not sure but I thought my guy said he can adjust the "starter pump" or IQ to start better. IDK.

Also one other thing I thought off last night was see what your coolant temp reading is, mine was off about 10 degrees and made for a diffcult start.

Fuel temp sensor as well. A faulty one can cause over fueling on start up.

Also one other thing I thought off last night was see what your coolant temp reading is, mine was off about 10 degrees and made for a diffcult start.

Coolant temp was reading right on according to the scanner. I thought this was the problem as well

Fuel temp sensor as well. A faulty one can cause over fueling on start up.

I"ll look into that. I might have to plug a better scanner in to it to read this but maybe i just overlooked it on mine... Dont know much about these cars and didnt even know it had one. Good thought tho, thanks

Back