teach me about the 7.3

turbo dreams

in college and broke
been thinking of getting a 7.3 powerstroke 99 and up model. looking at a 1999 f250 4 door long bed 4x4 with 6 spd. manual. i do not not much about these trucks. i know they use the heui system, and i somewhat understand it. i just need to know what to look for and what goes wrong on these trucks. i want something reliable and doesn't cost $1000 plus when it breaks, like my vp truck does. this truck will be kept stock and needs to get me to school. i know alot of guys who swear by their 7.3's. which is what makes me thinking of switching. thanks

Buy a spare CPS, they were $100 now they are around $16. CPS >>>click me

I would also buy a new upper radiator hose that routes the hose around the belt instead of through the belt in case you break a belt. You would have to partially drain the cooling system to change the belt other wise. The hose is around $12 and is known as a dual alternator hose or sometimes as an upgrade hose in the dreaded auto parts store computer system.

There are occasional problems with the valve cover wiring harness clips too.

You can do a few things performance wise for under $20 also....

i was really wondering about the fuel system and how it is reacting to the new ulsd fuel? whast the most expensive part in the system? the hpop? how good of a transmission is the 6spd.?

If you're not going to upgrade the truck then the stock fuel system should be just fine, I've had no problems with ULSD. Replace the fuel filter, and check the bottom of the fuel bowl for sediment in the bottom. I took mine all the way out and cleaned it, I would also clean the FPR screen while your there. Look at your oil rail plugs, if they are seeping change them out, if one of the o-rings blow you may not be able to start the truck. I got them for almost $8 each from Ford, they are $21 at IH for the same part. Also look at your turbo pedistal o-rings, your turbo up pipes, and your EBPV valve if you have one. Depending where you live you may want to change the glow plugs, I got a full set off of Ebay for $50. DO NOT buy anything except Motorcraft Beru's, they are the only ones that last. Cheap ones can swell and if they break you could end up pulling the head. I would at least upgrade to a cold air intake and exhaust system, it will help with milage, the truck may already have them though. Have someone you know with a scanner pull the codes from the truck, that will give you some good places to start with fixing stuff so you don't get stranded. You're HPOP is most likely fine, you'll know if it is having problems, they can run up to $800 but you can find them for much more reasonable prices. I've heard of no problems with the ZF6.

Last edited: