Tell me what your 4th gauge would be...

Shadow_Grey

Comfortably Numb
I am in the process of picking out my gauges. I am going to go with a Quad Overhead Console for four 2 1/16" gauges above the rear view mirror color matched with the grey interior. So far I have picked out mechanical Boost 0-35 PSIG, full sweep electric Pyrometer 0-1600 Deg F and Trans Temp 100-260 Deg F. To finish it out I need to pick out one more. I have narrowed it down to either full sweep electric Oil Temp 140-280 Deg F or Water Temp 100-260 Deg F. All are 270 deg full sweep gauges for better accuracy and easier reading cause I ain't getting any younger.

Tell me which one you would choose or any other one for that matter and why.

I need to get these while I am ordering my SCT:woohoo: .

I'm thinking the kitty is probably going to get away too.:doh:

Per my first thread I gotta get ahead of my little brother.:kick:

What would normal pressure reading be?
Would 0-100 PSI cover it?
Where would I tap into the system at?

The kit includes a 1/8" NPT sender.

Fuel pressure for #4

Wanna know what my 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th are ? LOL

ABout to add 18 and 19 LOL

my trucks interior looks like the Millenium Falcon it has so many gages!

when i switch mine to a quad pod on my a-pillar im going to add fuel pressure. so my vote goes to that too.

Garrett

Fuel Pressure.

But for me it would be trans since I already have FP, Boost and EGT. :aiwebs_015:

UNBROKEN said:
Fuel pressure for #4

Wanna know what my 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th are ? LOL

ABout to add 18 and 19 LOL

Dang Richard, I knew this was coming.

......do you have a countdown before you can take off?

T minus 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...........................blast off.:poke:

+1 on the fuel pressure ShadowGray

Last edited:
I've been thinking the same thing Gene. I'm about to add 2, 2 stage IAT gauges...might as well add that too.

OK, fuel pressure it is.

Now I'll ask again...

What would normal pressure reading be?
Would 0-100 PSI cover it?
Where would I tap into the system at?

The kit includes a 1/8" NPT sender.

What else do I need for this install?

Thanks,
Jeff

It is Autometer #18018.

Try one of the sponsors that has gauges or google it or egauges.com

ALSO

I was searching around the internet last night and found a switch that could switch thermocouples. If I get the Pyro, Boost and the Trans temp (range 100 - 260 deg F) I could put a thermocouple in the differential, tranny, engine oil and coolant. Then just turn the dial and read each of them with the one gauge. I believe they use K type thermocouple wire and Omega (Google them) has many different attachment styles to choose from. The rotary switch is Omega (about 100 bucks) also and you can get it in up to 23 different switch positions. I think I would choose 4 or maybe 5 and mount it low for easy switching (that is down to about 25 bucks per additional reading). All I have to do is bring all the thermocouple wires to it and one wire up to the overhead console gauge. Put position 1 to start at the front of the truck (water) and the last position at the back (differential). Heck, I could do all kind of things like tranny temp in and out, water temp in and out, oil temp at different places...the list could go on and on. If I found a digital gauge and had the range I could even have outside and inside temp too.

This gives me at least 4 temps in one gauge. Rear-end will not change very fast so I would only check it every once in a while driving, trans will if maneuvering a trailer back and forth but not move much while on the open road, oil to check that the cooler is OK, and the water while on the road loaded heavy and working it hard. I can switch between them at any time.

What do you guys think? Chime in if you have different ideas.

Still debating about the 4th one…voltmeter vs the fuel pressure gauge.

fuel pressure makes sense but....

Something I have often wondered.... You V8 guys use a pyro usually on one side or the other. Wouldn't it make sense to have a pyro for left and right bank? If your tap is after the turbo you get a close reading. But a thermocouple in each bank exhaust manifold would be kinda neat. maybe overkill? I think not.

Back