Temperature issue...

Lil' Dunbar

The better looking Dunbar
I have a 99 24v 5speed with rv275 injectors and a diablosport power puck, not much horsepower or fuel at all. Last weekend I was hauling a 26ft sea ray weighing in around 5 or 6 thousand pounds and my engine temp. got up to around 210-215 on the highway when pulling a grade. I know this isn't super hot, but I still don't feel like it should have gotten up past 190. My egts never got above 1000 degrees, trans temp. never even hit 190, and I was building 26-28 pounds of boost on a grade. It was a cloudy day and temp. was probably in the 80s so no extreme heat. Any ideas on why it would run warm like that? Possibly a thermostat going out?

Thanks, Jordan

I'd say that probably normal in my opinion? Does your truck still have the factory crankcase filter setup up front that likes to radiator up?

Depends on the grade. I was towing 2 four wheelers on a 20' flat bed the other day and my temps were 205* on flat ground. Meh.

I'd say that probably normal in my opinion? Does your truck still have the factory crankcase filter setup up front that likes to radiator up?

Its stock everywhere pretty much. It may be normal, im not sure. Just figured I would check. I'm the only person I know with an old 24v. My uncle had a 98 he used to pull the dyno with but he can't remember if it ran warm or not.

Depends on the grade. I was towing 2 four wheelers on a 20' flat bed the other day and my temps were 205* on flat ground. Meh.

Your sig says you have an 06, you have a 2nd gen too? Only reason I ask is because the CR runs warmer than the 24v. But you guys may be right, I could just be paranoid. Lol

I would check the crank case breather and change it out if its the factory style. If not I wouldn't sweat it unless you have other issues as well.

When was the last time you pulled the radiator and cleaned it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

On my 2nd gen I could heat the temps to 215-220 on a WOT run. If temps are below 220, I don't worry.

When was the last time you pulled the radiator and cleaned it?

It got all new fluids when the motor was built a year and a half ago, but not sure if the radiator was actually flushed.

On my 2nd gen I could heat the temps to 215-220 on a WOT run. If temps are below 220, I don't worry.

Yeah it never quite hit 220. Got up around 215 but that was up hill running 70-75. Other than temp. it never did anything weird, pulled like a champ so I guess I won't worry.

I would check the crank case breather and change it out if its the factory style. If not I wouldn't sweat it unless you have other issues as well.

Thanks for the input, ill look into an upgrade for the crank case breather.

It got all new fluids when the motor was built a year and a half ago, but not sure if the radiator was actually flushed.

I meant the fins. Mine looked good until I pulled it, the breather on the timing cover spews oil and it gets into the fins and plugs it(I believe that is what BRE was referring to). Mine used to get hot towing and now it barely gets over 200° and never gets over 210°, but we rarely see over 90° ambient here. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I meant the fins. Mine looked good until I pulled it, the breather on the timing cover spews oil and it gets into the fins and plugs it(I believe that is what BRE was referring to). Mine used to get hot towing and now it barely gets over 200° and never gets over 210°, but we rarely see over 90° ambient here. Just a thought.

I didn't even think about that. Definitely a possibility.

That's exactly what I was referring to!

Easy way to check airflow is take a water hose, turn it on to where you have a decent stream but not full bore. You should be able to put it against the A/C condenser and see water come out the back of the radiator by the fan. If you cannot do this over most of the radiator yank it out and clean it inside and out. Super Clean will make short work of the bugs and oil residue. While you are at it, clean the intercooler and condenser well to get bugs/grass seeds/dirt out of them. I have seen the radiator on my truck be pretty clean, but the intercooler stopped up with grass seeds.

Last edited:
I have a problem with mine getting warm empty. I think im going to try to pull the radiator and give it a clean hopefully takes care of it

Just to be clear, it's tough to see the build up from the CCV. It occurs on the front side of the radiator. Sandwiched between the aftercooler and radiator.

%23SC00849.JPG

Back