Terrible surge possible governor bounce

Greasemonkey78

First off let me tell you about the truck 95 12v nv5600 and a 215 pump 4k gsk, 10 fuel plate, air dog

while normal driving the truck runs great, but when I hook to a trailer and try to cruise I get a horrible bounce at approximatly 1600 to 1800 rpm. I can make it happen in 5th or sixth gear under light throttle at about 10psi of boost. This happens right at highway cruising speeds. I have already tried loosening and tightning the governor springs and it has made no difference.

I have searched the site and come up empty somebody please help me out on this one
thanks

Try clamping the front of your rear leaf springs or put a ladder bar type setup on. I fixed mine with the bar setup. $.02

Last edited:
This problem didnt start untill i put the 215 pump on which made me think it is a tuning issue, but I have a set of bars half built that i have been needing to finish so that will be my next step thanks for your input

Does it do it on cruise control? I had this issue last year with my truck with SDX comp DV's, trying to hold highway speed, any movement in my foot would induce some jerking in the truck, felt like it was bouncing because of it. Put it on cruise, and it was fine. But it was getting almost undriveable because of it. Put my 181's back in and it calmed it way down. Its also a 215 pump. It was fine on winter fuel with 3k gsk and the SDX DV's, but as soon as I got summer fuel, it started doing it.

I cant say if it will act up on cruise cause mine does not work at the moment, but it only happens when im towing and i come to any type of incline and i just barely tip into it.

5spds/ 6spds and 4K GSK dont like each other. The 4K fuels hard down low what makes it sensitive. Try Adding another return spring. How many clicks you have on the GSKs?

One soft, 3 hard clicks should be decent. How hard is the pedal to push? I've had to add return springs to make it harder for the linkage to bounce

As others have said, add an extra return spring. That may fix the problem but I am willing to bet that is a gov spring issue. Another thought is it may be a star wheel adjustment issue. I just went through a condition where the star wheel was to tight and would buck when I shifted. Basically as the throttle changed it would transition back to to preboost settings for a split second. I dought this is a problem but it would be an easy thing to check. Move it say 5 clicks one way or the other and see if the condition goes away or changes load/RPM of the bounce.

Do you have stock valve springs? Have you over reved it and maybe bent a pushrod or valve?

I have a 97 auto with a trimble at 1,300 - 1,400 rpm it's driving me crazy I can roll into the pedal goes away.. I'm thinking there is a problem with my governor assembly also. I have tried a set of TST 3Ks and PAC 4k.. New set of DDP 75hp injectors no luck next I plan to do a compression test and check for a bent pushrod.. Last try a new p-pump?

^^^Try adjusting the gov springs plus or minus 1 click. I have the same thing on my 180HP pump that has gotten slightly worse since being benched. Its not really a stumble but more of a surge in power as the motor goes past that RPM. Anything below is a little soft in responce.

My `95 w/ 47RH has a terrible bucking/surging that I haven't been able to get rid of. It starts around 1000 rpm and goes away at 12-1300 and only happens under light throttle conditions.

I've got comp DV's and stock GSK so I guess it might be worth swapping out the DV's and see if that changes anything.

We just went on a road trip, towing, and I didn't hear him say anything more about the gov bounce. He did put traction bars on right before we went, so that may have helped. his afc was all the way loose as well so we tightened that up some.

Mine will get a shudder at low rpm light throttle and go away when I roll into it. But mines from the marine injectors. Didn't do it with the stock.

my truck does the same thing when pulling a trailer. i think it's more my return spring not being strong enough to keep my foot still when i push the pedal down starting up a hill. only happens when i try to go lightly into the throttle.