The axle game. FML......

cetaneaddict

Causing my own headaches
So I had a ball joint mishap on the front Dana 60 axle that has 4:10's. It's an 02 2500 and the current axle doesn't have the vacuum disconnect. I have a front axle out of my 99 2500 that has 3:54's in it and its a complete axle with vacuum disconnect. I also have an 01 2500 front axle with 4:10's that has vacuum disconnect. The 01 axle with the 4:10's doesn't have any axle shafts. My question is will the 99 3:54 axle shafts fit in the 01 with the 4:10's? Is there any other differences from that 02 axle compared to the 01? Besides not having the vacuum disconnect ?

I hope this makes sense?

I'm going to rip it apart and hope I can put the 99 axles in the 01.

Last edited:
Another thought is has anyone welded the ball joint bores before? Is it cast steel or cast iron? I can put the axle on the mill at work and machine it back to size.

I'm going to weld my mistake and machine the bore as close as I can to size for the lower ball joint. If that doesn't work I will pull my 99 axle apart and see if the shafts will go into my 01 axle. Cast steel should weld fairly easy. Just have to preheat/weld/post heat/ and wrap it.

Had a co-worker weld the wrecked bore.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
I Indicated the bore in and leveled it. Then machined it. My moog lower ball joint measured 1.816 I ended up machining the bore to 1.812 when I pressed it in it was pretty damn tight. I should have machined it to 1.814 but it's in and fixed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
How did this all start?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

It needed ball joints on the passenger side. Upper came out after using some English. The lower moved an 1/8 of an inch then wouldn't budge. Used an ball joint press and shocked it with a hammer and air hammer. Tried heating the surrounding area nothing. So I decided cut it out and I didn't pay attention to the slag/bore and I had cut into the bore. I didn't think it would weld, but it welded real nice so I said a screw it and I machined it back into tolerance. Good ole NYS salt.