The new SS Injectors have been out for awhile now,...

OT-OF-Here

Owner of the Black Beach
I haven't read about problems with these. So are they as good as they appear? I've had them since Aug last year and they've been great for me. Just curious and looking for input. tks

the newer bodies are stronger, but they don't prevent needle/pintle/seat issues... which, are arguably the biggest issues with most injectors... the bodies come into play with high pressures

Question

the newer bodies are stronger, but they don't prevent needle/pintle/seat issues... which, are arguably the biggest issues with most injectors... the bodies come into play with high pressures

It seems that the throttle response was improved in my truck so I'm wondering if the spray angles were changed or some other aspect like the solenoids, etc etc??

The new injector bodies/holders are stronger and less prone to failure from cracking. The seats are longer lasting from the hard chrome seat design, but this comes with other drawbacks like higher leakage rates, even with lower use. The solenoids are the same as the old ones.

There are 2 types of the new stainless injectors. One is a mirror of the older/original and the newest has a few other updates. Rear pintle guides, etc. The response time is slightly improved, but this can be achieved with tuning the older ones as well.

I still replace stainless bodies from cracks, but not as often. The cracks were from long term pressure use mostly. A built up stress, if you will. I suspect that the ones who still refuse to lower pressure will always crack injectors. It is much like running your truck tires at 3 times their rated pressure. 240 PSI to get better fuel economy from less rolling resistance. The gains are not worth the blowouts, IMO

I've wondered for a while what trucks came with what bodies? I was thinking in 05 they switched to the first run of stainless bodies and in 06 they went to the new version.

Don can you clarify? Just curious.

I've wondered for a while what trucks came with what bodies? I was thinking in 05 they switched to the first run of stainless bodies and in 06 they went to the new version.

Don can you clarify? Just curious.

I sure hope that you are right!

Starting in 2006 Bosch began using the hard chrome seat, but still used the old body material. The hard chrome seat is resistant to wear caused from our crappy fuel quality in the USA compared to the good stuff in the EU. One of the problems I see constantly with the hard chrome seat is higher leakage rates, even with low miles. They tend to leak about 50% more fuel than a standard tool steel part. The good news is, they stop at that point and dont continue leaking past that in most cases.

The newer material injector bodies did not start production until about March 2008. These still used the old style nozzle and pintle guide system. No factory Dodge truck will have these. Only trucks with replacements parts. Dodge dealers no longer purchase new Bosch injectors, but rather a Cummins reman from Cummins. Cummins remans their injectors in Mexico....as an FYI.

The newest of the injectors use a rear pintle guide system. These began showing up in the first months of 2010 and the older style is no longer produced.

No changes have been made to solenoids for any year in the 5.9. They are still a .4-.5 ohm bobbin. Most have about 59-61 microfarad inductance that usually pull between 17 and 18.5 amps of pickup current from the ECM/power supply.

It is impossible for a 6.7 injector to be used with the 5.9 factory ECM. It is a totally different bobbin design in the 6.7 with lower resistance and inductance. The voltage and current used are not anywhere close to one another.

A few quick notes on seats/valves:

Fuel quality and pressure are the top two reasons for failure. Dirt and water either erode the material away through abrasive action or oxidation/rust.

Higher pressure increases the abrasive action. Rust that has formed on the metal parts will erode away even faster with higher pressure.

The lower pressure 03-04 engine injectors wear seats/valves at a rate that is multiples less. I dont see many that are worn compared to nearly all the 04.5 and up engines. The longest lasting injectors by large margins are the 03-04 with stock filtration systems and fuel pumps.

Fuel quality and filtration is paramount for long life. Do not use fuel from a small farm or construction site tank. Always change filters. Never fill up at a station that has a fuel delivery truck present. Find out the delivery dates for your station and schedule fill ups at different times.

Starting in 2006 Bosch began using the hard chrome seat, but still used the old body material. The hard chrome seat is resistant to wear caused from our crappy fuel quality in the USA compared to the good stuff in the EU. One of the problems I see constantly with the hard chrome seat is higher leakage rates, even with low miles. They tend to leak about 50% more fuel than a standard tool steel part. The good news is, they stop at that point and dont continue leaking past that in most cases.

The newer material injector bodies did not start production until about March 2008. These still used the old style nozzle and pintle guide system. No factory Dodge truck will have these. Only trucks with replacements parts. Dodge dealers no longer purchase new Bosch injectors, but rather a Cummins reman from Cummins. Cummins remans their injectors in Mexico....as an FYI.

The newest of the injectors use a rear pintle guide system. These began showing up in the first months of 2010 and the older style is no longer produced.

No changes have been made to solenoids for any year in the 5.9. They are still a .4-.5 ohm bobbin. Most have about 59-61 microfarad inductance that usually pull between 17 and 18.5 amps of pickup current from the ECM/power supply.

It is impossible for a 6.7 injector to be used with the 5.9 factory ECM. It is a totally different bobbin design in the 6.7 with lower resistance and inductance. The voltage and current used are not anywhere close to one another.

A few quick notes on seats/valves:

Fuel quality and pressure are the top two reasons for failure. Dirt and water either erode the material away through abrasive action or oxidation/rust.

Higher pressure increases the abrasive action. Rust that has formed on the metal parts will erode away even faster with higher pressure.

The lower pressure 03-04 engine injectors wear seats/valves at a rate that is multiples less. I dont see many that are worn compared to nearly all the 04.5 and up engines. The longest lasting injectors by large margins are the 03-04 with stock filtration systems and fuel pumps.

Fuel quality and filtration is paramount for long life. Do not use fuel from a small farm or construction site tank. Always change filters. Never fill up at a station that has a fuel delivery truck present. Find out the delivery dates for your station and schedule fill ups at different times.

Thank you for some great info!

Not to knit pick isn't inductance measured in Henry's?

Not to knit pick isn't inductance measured in Henry's?

yes, I got the name wrong. I had the numbers correct, but the name wrong.

03-07 5.9 injectors and all the LB7 injectors have roughly 60 MicroHenrys of inductance, not microfarads.

I just measured one at 200KHz and got 59.8 uH (microhenry)

So you say the 03-04's with stock filtration last longest. Is this due to the fass and others having a poor water seperator? Or Is it simply due to the fact that if it has a stock fuel system it most likely has stock-ish programming and not too many other "upgrades"?

Don,

When you speak of leakage being a problem for 04.5 and up, then are you talking leakage in the cylinder or backflow leakage?

Tks.