The NV4500......

Goes_Fast

Hey I was wondering if anyone on here could help me address a question about my transmission. I had it rebuilt a year ago, and it always for some reason popped out of 5th gear when you let off of it (mostly when coasting down a hill) ever since it was rebuilt. through out the year it has gotten worse, and today i'm pretty sure the nut came off. I was driving 55mph with my chip off and then it just left, it had a very quite grind that you could bearly hear. All other gears work fine, is there anything ya'll suggest as far getting a new nut? welding it back on? or just light the truck on fire?

Call standard transmission and gear down it texas. they sell a few options to fix that. They also have a website

I lost the snap ring on the counter shaft for 5th gear and mine made a quiet grinding noise when I tried to use 5th

Hey I was wondering if anyone on here could help me address a question about my transmission. I had it rebuilt a year ago, and it always for some reason popped out of 5th gear when you let off of it (mostly when coasting down a hill) ever since it was rebuilt. through out the year it has gotten worse, and today i'm pretty sure the nut came off. I was driving 55mph with my chip off and then it just left, it had a very quite grind that you could bearly hear. All other gears work fine, is there anything ya'll suggest as far getting a new nut? welding it back on? or just light the truck on fire?

Why did you put up with it for a year of popping out of gear after a rebuild? I would have made the rebuilder go back through it.

Why did you put up with it for a year of popping out of gear after a rebuild? I would have made the rebuilder go back through it.

It was a backyard rebuild basically, and he got it done the day before I went back to college and I live 9 hours away from the guy. But the other day 5th gear came back, I'm guessing that the gear slid back in place. I'm putting a clutch in it tomorrow so I'm going to TIG the nut back in place.

I wouldn't suggest that on the nut. If you break something your gonna have to buy more parts than necessary.

I've seen it done before! But as was stated, you will be buying way more parts the next time you have problems.

I wouldn't suggest that on the nut. If you break something your gonna have to buy more parts than necessary.

Ok I tore it a part tonight, it is the snap ring. My nut is 100% fine and tight, but were do I go to get one of those snap rings? I a generic ring that you can cross reference?

Some one told this to me so I'll pass it on -

Seems nobody is ever taught this anymore, but when you put the new snap ring on, the side with the sharp, squared off edges should be AWAY from the hub. Putting the smooth, rounded edges on that side increases the likelyhood of pressure popping the snap ring off, since the rounded edges give a bit of a ramp surface.

Standard trans and gear is another place to check. They built the one that I put in my conversion.

Back