The Perfect Pulling Track, what is it?

stonycreek

"If" you were designing a new pulling facility - how should it be built?

What type of track material should be used?

How wide should the track be? How long?

Should there be a "tech building"?

These are just a few of the basics. Let's hear some of your thoughts and suggestions.

Last edited:
Some years ago when I was involved with Super Stock pulling, we loved a track that had some loose dirt/sand where the skid was parked on, but a nice tacky clay the rest of the way. As far as size, about 50'x500'-600'. No tech building needed, but nice.

It needs to have utilities, facilities and pole mounted lights!

Good clay, imo actual pullin surface needs be no more than 350 ish, then add room for sled and to get off the track, my biggest ***** about most places is pits, everyone puts lots into the trakc but leave the pits up to the stars!

350' is a lil short if you think about super semis or mod tractors. 500'ish x 50'. Pole mounted lights and PA system. Ive been to too many pulls where you can hear wtf is goin on, especially in the pits. Grandstand on both sides is always cool.$.02

Thanks for the input gentleman. Our family is pondering the idea of turning a portion of our 160 acre family farm into a dirt drag strip as well as a pulling track. The dirt drag requires roughly 1800 feet - racing 1/8 mile. There was mention to the possibility of incorporating a pulling track to cover 4x4's, farm tractors, semi's and with the added possibility of atv and garden tractor events.

This thread could be used for valuable information and tips that could be incorporated into the planning of the ultimate pulling track, should it be concluded to be a viable opportunity. I know from past events that I attended, most pulls are conducted on old race tracks or other places where the event was crammed in areas with barely any pit room, nor much spectator seating or parking.

My thoughts on a "tech building" was to the point of allowing a place for tech options as well as weight in's. I can see it not really being a necessity but a nice place for each truck to go through on the way to the staging area.

Any more thoughts or idea's? Keep em coming!

a "tech building" is a good idea to have good lighting to check for all the safety parts and 1/8 mile is to long on dirt most are 300'

The tech "building" would be a waist of time and money. Vehicles need to be teched way before going to the staging area. If they are made to go through a area on the way the show will be very slow. The track needs yto be atleast 450-500 including the room for the sled. The big thing is you need it to flow. You don't want vehicles passing each other going to and from the track. Make the pits on the finish line end of the track. They can be towed to the starting line and after the run can drive off to the pits to allow for cool down time and make the end of the track open , don't run it into a building, wall or mountain. As for the dirt a clay base track is best with enough sand in it to allow for easy working. A straight clay track will not pack back very well. That's were the sand helps, it allows it to be pliable and fill in the holes but still be able to get the vehicles to hook

A few things here that I noticed that have not been mentioned:

One: Put a fence between the track and the spectator area. I suggest something small like a 3' woven wire. I was a part of way too many pulls that the spectators were right ON the berms. I along with several other official/pullers spent the whole pull chasing people back off the berms. Put the fence 30' or so back from the edge of the track. Its close enough so people feel close to the action, but also have a safe standoff distance.

Two: Put bleachers on both sides, up to about the 150' mark. From there, allow people to back their trucks up to tailgate the pulls. This always makes it lots of fun, and encourages the pullers to come up, mingle, and talk with the spectators. This helps bring people back for more events, and encourages them to stay longer, spending more money at your track.

Three: Elevated PA/MC platform. Put the floor around 6' above the ground. Any higher and it’s hard for the drivers to talk to the MC, any lower makes it difficult for the MC to see what is going on. It may be a good idea to put a railing on the backside of this facing the pits. This way it makes a nice area for the drivers meeting. Put a roof on this too, it’s very helpful. Keep in mind, this need be nothing special. Make a deck 6' off the ground with electricity, a few fluorescent lights, a railing, and an angled tin roof. A folding table seems to work best for it.

Four: Not sure how big time you are going, but if you decide to go big time, you may want to have a remote kill system in place, setup on the MC platform. This saved our butts at one pull when the hook system on the skid failed.

Where is the land? If this gets built, I may have to come check it out!

A few things here that I noticed that have not been mentioned:

One: Put a fence between the track and the spectator area. I suggest something small like a 3' woven wire. I was a part of way too many pulls that the spectators were right ON the berms. I along with several other official/pullers spent the whole pull chasing people back off the berms. Put the fence 30' or so back from the edge of the track. Its close enough so people feel close to the action, but also have a safe standoff distance. Heck with just a fence put up concrete barriers! There is a venue out here where the track is down about 8 feet from the spectator area, several years back a tractor tipped on its side and pinned the guy between the dirt wall and tractor, not sure how to address that other than requiring roll cages.

Two: Put bleachers on both sides, up to about the 150' mark. From there, allow people to back their trucks up to tailgate the pulls. This always makes it lots of fun, and encourages the pullers to come up, mingle, and talk with the spectators. This helps bring people back for more events, and encourages them to stay longer, spending more money at your track. I would put bleachers all the way down as you just can't get the number of people in the back of a truck that you can a 6 row bleacher, of course this depends on the number of folks in attendance. Possibly bleachers all the way down on one side, and depending on the size allow trucks to park on the opposite side?? Plus sometimes the people parked in the back of the truck have too easy of access to alcohol to get totally wasted.

Three: Elevated PA/MC platform. Put the floor around 6' above the ground. Any higher and it’s hard for the drivers to talk to the MC, any lower makes it difficult for the MC to see what is going on. It may be a good idea to put a railing on the backside of this facing the pits. This way it makes a nice area for the drivers meeting. Put a roof on this too, it’s very helpful. Keep in mind, this need be nothing special. Make a deck 6' off the ground with electricity, a few fluorescent lights, a railing, and an angled tin roof. A folding table seems to work best for it.

Four: Not sure how big time you are going, but if you decide to go big time, you may want to have a remote kill system in place, setup on the MC platform. This saved our butts at one pull when the hook system on the skid failed.

Where is the land? If this gets built, I may have to come check it out!

Overall sounds like some good advice.

A few points I forgot. I meant to expand on DISTURBED's post

When you pull into the track from the main road, put the pullers to the left immediatley, and the spectators to the right. Have the spectators pay their fee, and go to parking. Do not allow coolers in this side. Once they are parked, make them walk by the concessions before they get to the bleachers. Set the pullers to the left where they follow a short road down to the inspection station for the tech inspections and to pay entry fees. Once they've paid, send them to the pits to unload and come back for weigh-ins. Make sure to allow coolers, etc in for the pullers.

Set the track east-west for example. Place the MC platform on the south side of the track, right on the standoff fence/barriers. By placing it on the south side, it keeps the sun out of the MC's eyes so they can keep a close eye on whats going on. Put the pits to the south side of the track with a road that basically makes a loop from the track to the pits. This allows one vehicle to enter the track while another vehicle exits the track. When you have a puller break on the track, this allows you to keep the show going.

Use the north edge of the track in the standoff area as a lane for fire trucks/ambulances in case things go VERY bad. It happens. I've seen it. Not pretty. When you have an injured drive and a wrecked truck, or on fire you need to have a way to get EMS there NOW! Remember, pullers usually have their family there as well. I know I wouldn't want to watch that....

At the start of the track, make space for the refinishing tractor, pull back tractor, water truck, and EMS to park. Again, the north side, behind the starting line would be great for this.

I hope this makes sense. If I need to explain this more, please let me know...