The Silver 62

stevewes2004

After lots of thought and feedback from others about whether to get a 62mm charger or retrofit an HE351 (and consent from the wife), I picked up this bad boy. Only had 3500 miles on it :rockwoot:

silver62.jpg

Its a 62/74/14 which many of you already knew from the title of this thread. I hardly ever tow so the extra lag wont be an issue. Im going to dyno my truck with the stock HX in two weeks and after that im going to put this on and eventually hit the rollers again to see the real HP gains of this turbo upgrade (besides cooler EGTs, lag difference, boost, yada yada yada.)

I ran a Silver64 on my truck and loved it for the street and track.
The thing pulls like a freight train, but SUCKED towing anything heavier than 7k.

One thing, make sure there is ZERO endplay on it. I.I. has been having some of their Silver series having excessive endplay with very little mileage.

i just hope it doesnt lag toooooo bad. how would the lag compare to say....an HX40?

i have a silver bullet 66/74/14 with jammer 4's and a edge comp(only on when wanting to go wild) and have no complaints! i am at sea level though so that makes a difference. a silver 62 will be a awesome all around turbo with a set of 90-150hp injectors and a good fueling and timing box you will love it in any altitude. i think it will spool as good or better then a hx-40 in my eyes they dont compare! i think a hx-40 is only a 60/65/12. the 40 will run out of air long before the silver 62, and also flow more air in at the same rpms that the 40 would. if that makes any sense...

sweet! yea the HX40 has a 16cm housing. i drove a truck with one and it lagged quite a bit but it was ok. i know this turbo will kill the hx.

you are going to love your 62, spool up will be very quick, better than the HX40

put it on now! it only takes like 45 minutes to do by yourself. id do it asap!

nah. just run it open turbo!!! im kidding btw. i suggest wrapping it in some kind of exhaust wrap before installing it. that stuff makes a huge difference and its fairly cheap.

it helps with under hood temps. it keeps the heat out of the engine bay and in the down pipe. i did a full throttle run up a steep hill, pulled over and was able to touch the downpipe for a good 3 seconds! it just keeps everything under the hood cooler. i want to do the manifold but dont want to take everything off again.

hmmm that makes sense. well i picked up my downpipe today and got the HX unbolted except for on of the flange bolts which i gave up on today. should have the turbo on this weekend! :woohoo:

got the turbo on today. HOLY COW!! this thing is sweet. a little more lag than i like but nothing i cant get used to it pulls so hard. running about 42-45psi. i really need a DRAG comp cuz this thing never stops pulling!!!!
IMG_0785.jpg

yea, the 150s work good with this turbo. i wouldnt mind having a another smarty to help spool it tho